What Breed are my ducks?

brads brood

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
Huntsville, TX
Please take a close look at pictures. I know they may post a little blurry (hoping not). We think 1 is a Rouen and the other may be a Khaki. Let us know what you think?

Thanks! :/

Our ducks are 11 weeks old today. They have been shedding their adolescent feathers for couple of weeks. Today, we noticed green starting to develops on their heads. We thought we had 2 hens, instead they may be drakes. The green doesn't show up in pics or I would post some.

Can anyone tell me how to tell hen vs. drake feathers without waiting?

Last edited:
Thanks! :/

Our ducks are 11 weeks old today. They have been shedding their adolescent feathers for couple of weeks. Today, we noticed green starting to develops on their heads. We thought we had 2 hens, instead they may be drakes. The green doesn't show up in pics or I would post some.

Can anyone tell me how to tell hen vs. drake feathers without waiting?
I actually just read today that both male and female get the green heads and it's not until adult hood that the males becomes more vibrant and the females fades away. As for sexing by feathers I think you have to wait for the drake feather to curl at the tail to know if it's a male. What do their quacks sound like? May not be a fool proof method but does seem to work out in most cases. The female will quack and the male will not. Look up sexing ducks by voice.

Last edited:
One quacks alot and loud. The other quacks loud but not as much.

I will look into links sent. Feel free to send anything you find! We love our ducks and enjoy their antics. It doesn't matter what sex they are except for their names! Lol

Thank s for your help!

Last edited:
I can definitely see the green on them, interesting. Quacking means girls though I know that for sure haha listen to the sounds on the first link and let me know what one matches best

OK. Samine is definitely a hen. Samantha does quack but it's a whisper, so thinking a drake. Her quack is more pronounced when given meal worms. Either way, we are enjoying this experience!

Again, thanks for your help. Your babies are adorable!

Back
Top Bottom