What breed are these and is one really a boy?

dwegg

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2009
Grant Park, Atlanta, GA
Ok so I was told that they were BLRW...I can see that they are but crossed with what? AND is this one really a boy...I know he is, but just wanting him not to be...
They are 8 weeks old....

Here's the boy?

44332_361.jpg

44332_371.jpg

and here's the girl.. (BLRW X EE)?

44332_364.jpg

44332_374.jpg

44332_383.jpg

44332_376.jpg

44332_353.jpg

Last edited:
i'm still new at this but i would guess they have some barred rock in them and the second one does look like an EE cross. i love their coloring and barred pattern
again i'm new at this but they both look like roos to me.
hide.gif
(i hope i'm wrong)
the first one has a lot of comb and wattle growth for 8 weeks and they're already turning red. the second one has a roo-ish look from the way he/she is standing in the second pic. his/her comb is also getting red already. my EE's are much older and still don't have a comb that red
i'm interested to see what the people with more experience say

Hi DWEGG .I agree that babies are mix.But because there legs are white not yelow I think they are Cucko Marans mix.Single combed one is a boy for sure and I am sorry to say it but there is more than 50% chance second one to be male too.

Last edited:
I say EE with either Cuckoo Marans or Barred Rock. As for genders, first one is a boy, second one is iffy, but looking at the hackles (neck), they look like pretty round feathers. In about 2 weeks you should start seeing some saddle feathers popping out. How do the hackles look, round or pointy? EEs are hard to sex sometimes and generally take a little longer than others. Their legs can be any color depending on what they are crossed with, so don't think that is a determining factor. Although, they are more often greenish slate or some dark shade. The puffy cheeks on the second one is a dead give away to the EE in them. I would say NO WAY are they BLRWs, not even close. If they were sold to you as purebred BLRWs and they both are boys, I get my money back if you seriously wanted the purebreds.
Like I said, give them a couple more weeks and watch the feathers coming in.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom