What breed are these and is one really a boy?

dwegg

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2009
Grant Park, Atlanta, GA
Ok so I was told that they were BLRW...I can see that they are but crossed with what? AND is this one really a boy...I know he is, but just wanting him not to be...
They are 8 weeks old....

Here's the boy?

44332_361.jpg

44332_371.jpg

and here's the girl.. (BLRW X EE)?

44332_364.jpg

44332_374.jpg

44332_383.jpg

44332_376.jpg

44332_353.jpg

Last edited:

BekahBear

Songster
11 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Arizona
i'm still new at this but i would guess they have some barred rock in them and the second one does look like an EE cross. i love their coloring and barred pattern
again i'm new at this but they both look like roos to me.
hide.gif
(i hope i'm wrong)
the first one has a lot of comb and wattle growth for 8 weeks and they're already turning red. the second one has a roo-ish look from the way he/she is standing in the second pic. his/her comb is also getting red already. my EE's are much older and still don't have a comb that red
i'm interested to see what the people with more experience say

ve

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 27, 2009
Palmetto GA
Hi DWEGG .I agree that babies are mix.But because there legs are white not yelow I think they are Cucko Marans mix.Single combed one is a boy for sure and I am sorry to say it but there is more than 50% chance second one to be male too.

Last edited:

Minniechickmama

Senora Pollo Loco
10 Years
Sep 4, 2009
Minnesota
I say EE with either Cuckoo Marans or Barred Rock. As for genders, first one is a boy, second one is iffy, but looking at the hackles (neck), they look like pretty round feathers. In about 2 weeks you should start seeing some saddle feathers popping out. How do the hackles look, round or pointy? EEs are hard to sex sometimes and generally take a little longer than others. Their legs can be any color depending on what they are crossed with, so don't think that is a determining factor. Although, they are more often greenish slate or some dark shade. The puffy cheeks on the second one is a dead give away to the EE in them. I would say NO WAY are they BLRWs, not even close. If they were sold to you as purebred BLRWs and they both are boys, I get my money back if you seriously wanted the purebreds.
Like I said, give them a couple more weeks and watch the feathers coming in.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Bottom