What breed are these girls?

cowboysgirlfrnd

Chirping
Oct 25, 2015
Hello! First time forum member, poster, and first time chicken owner here,

I was gifted my first ever chickens in the summertime, who were a bit wild, ragged-looking and skinny, and I now have seven happy ladies who have become lovely hens over the months. I've managed to figure out for myself that I have two black australorps and one barred rock. The others are a bit of a mystery to me, and I'd love your ideas so that when the time comes to get some new chicks, I know what to look for. (Sorry for the poor pictures - they are not very tame...)

I have two of these red and black girls, and one who has similar markings but is white and black.

The other mystery girl is the little red hen on the left. She is quite a bit smaller than the others, and has little feather boots on her legs.

Love to hear what you think!

Hello! First time forum member, poster, and first time chicken owner here,

I was gifted my first ever chickens in the summertime, who were a bit wild, ragged-looking and skinny, and I now have seven happy ladies who have become lovely hens over the months. I've managed to figure out for myself that I have two black australorps and one barred rock. The others are a bit of a mystery to me, and I'd love your ideas so that when the time comes to get some new chicks, I know what to look for. (Sorry for the poor pictures - they are not very tame...)

I have two of these red and black girls, and one who has similar markings but is white and black.

The other mystery girl is the little red hen on the left. She is quite a bit smaller than the others, and has little feather boots on her legs.

Love to hear what you think!

You have 2 golden laced wyandotte and a silver lace wyandotte. My rooster is golden laced and he is amazing. Oh and the little red hen looks like a production red.

Last edited:
I have 4 chicks that were gifted to me and I have absolutely no clue what they could be all have feathered legs and 4 toes. I am a first time chicken mommy so all is new to me and hoping I get get some help figuring these little ones out.

I agree with the above recommendations on the Wyandottes however I believe the the last one is a mix. My first look I thought production red as well but that hen is feathered down her legs and rhode islands/new hampshires are smooth legged. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Fire370, it does look like there are feathers didn't notice that the first time around. good eye.

I have 4 chicks that were gifted to me and I have absolutely no clue what they could be all have feathered legs and 4 toes. I am a first time chicken mommy so all is new to me and hoping I get get some help figuring these little ones out.

If they have feathered legs I would guess the darker one on the right at least is a buff brahma kinda hard to tell from the back though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom