What breed are these guys?

Plaid Dad

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2023
The brown ones are RIR's. I figured I'd take a shot at raising meat birds as long as I was doing chicks anyway. I got them from a local breeder at a 'chick day' event. I just asked for the best meat birds they have and he handed me the white ones. For the life of me I can't remember what he told me they were. Anyone know?

I'm pretty sure it's a common heritage breed if that helps.

Attachments

• PXL_20230816_015725167.jpg
    PXL_20230816_015725167.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 39
Delawares
Thank you.

Maybe you can help me with something else. I have 3 RIR hens that are 13 weeks old. They were intended to augment my aging flock of RIR hens. Shortly after getting them, a hawk got the adults so they're my oldest.

I then got 4 more RIR hens that are 5 weeks old and a RIR rooster to help with the hawks. I had no intention of keeping any of the Delaware roosters. I'm starting to second guess that. The Delaware are growing bigger and are clearly more aggressive without being overly so... to this point anyway. If my intention is to keep a rooster for predator mitigation it seems like a more aggressive, bigger rooster might not be a bad thing.

If I kept a Delaware rooster with my 7 RIR hens what should I expect from any hatched eggs in terms of egg production, meat, temperature tolerance, and temperament? I don't care much about looks.

They will make sex links the boys will have the Delaware pattern and the girls will be red they will be really good egg layers but not so much as meat birds.

Not sure about the temperament probably really flighty though from my experience

Back
Top Bottom