What breed are these red hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by calamarie, Nov 24, 2015.

1. calamarie

calamarie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Sorry the picture is not that great with my big rooster Bob blocking the view, I'll try and get a better one. I got these 5 girls from someone who did not know what they were, 4 light red and one dark. They are super good layers and lay large light brown eggs but one lays a dark brown egg and they are pretty petite birds. [​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Production Reds. I would say your lights girls are more likely New Hampshire Reds and your dark hen probably a production-type Rhode Island Red.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agreed

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    So do I.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The ones with white through the tail are red sexlinks, not Production Reds.

6. calamarie

calamarie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    I was thinking sex-links also, only because of their personality. They are super curious always pecking at anything on me when i'm in the coop, they come right up to you and follow you around and my black sexlinks do the exact same thing. they do have some white through the tail but seem to be molding or something so they look kind of goofy at the moment. So then the other one would be a Rhode Island red?

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The other one looks like she's dark enough to be labeled Rhode Island Red by a hatchery, but she's not dark enough for the breed standard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by