what breed are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by island-chick, Feb 9, 2017.

1. island-chick

island-chick New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    Hope someone can help me. I purchased these little ones at my local feed store two weeks ago. I got 6 chicks and just wanted a variety of girls.
    I was told 2 are white leg horns, 2 are rhode island reds, and the other 2 are suppose to be black and white spotted when they mature, but I don't remember what they called them. I'm sure the two white ones are the White Leg Horn, and I think the tan chick (#3) is a Rhode Island Red, but I don't think I got two of them. And then from what I've seen on google searches black and white spotted chickens should be black and white chicks. These are all tan and brown. Thanks for any help you can offer.

[​IMG]
    1. This is the smallest of all the chicks, maybe an Ester Egger?

[​IMG]
    2. I have two that look like this. Can tan and brown chicks turn black?

[​IMG]
    3. Biggest of all the chicks I think this is the Rhode Island Red

[​IMG]
    This is the whole gang.

2. KarateHorse

KarateHorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    The first two look like production reds

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

That big one looks like maybe a Buff Orpington. Your #1 is not an EE. I cannot see enough detail on the white chicks to confirm leghorn. Chick #1 might be your RIR. The 2 smaller ones might also be reds (probably production as mentioned. No biggie).

Are those all the same age?

4. island-chick

island-chick New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    I was told they were all 1 week old when I got them, and they were all together in the same cage. Thanks for your help. I don't really care what breed they are, just would like to know. And hopefully get some good eggs.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with bantam lover

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by