What breed are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by blubaught, Mar 8, 2017.

1. blubaught

blubaught Just Hatched

Mar 8, 2017
    My husband couldn't help himself when he saw these baby chicks at Tractor Supply (of course my 4 year old son was a big influence). He has no idea what the breed is. Please help!
    [​IMG]

2. Ogdenfarms22

Ogdenfarms22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    Kinda hard to tell every TSC gets different types of birds in their shipments. I would call and ask them :) going by what my TSC had in stock I would say the black ones may be black star sex links. The white may be white Leghorns. Good luck!

3. blubaught

blubaught Just Hatched

Mar 8, 2017
    I called Tractor Supply this morning, she thinks they are meat chickens not layer. I sure hope she's wrong. She also thought the black ones were Dominiques but they don't have any other color but black. The other ones are yellow.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ogdenfarms22

Feb 4, 2017
    Well if they are Dominiques good thing is they are labeled as dual purpose birds from many hatcheries! It is kinda odd I think for a Dom. Chicks to be all black but I could be wrong?!

5. blubaught

blubaught Just Hatched

Mar 8, 2017
    Yeah I'm pretty certain they aren't Dominiques. I wish they were!

6. blubaught

blubaught Just Hatched

Mar 8, 2017
    [​IMG]

My husband just found this picture (I zoomed in on the sign). This is what was there when he bought the chicks.

7. Ogdenfarms22

Feb 4, 2017

Well at least it say Egg production! Lol I found this which is a mix of RIR like the sign in the pic says so these coukd be it?!

http://poultrypaddock.com/black-rock-hens/

8. weasel killer

weasel killer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    If they are Rhode Island reds you will be very happy with their eggs they lay a large brown egg. The taste is awesome.

9. blubaught

blubaught Just Hatched

Mar 8, 2017
    Those are pretty! I just want my chickens to be pretty lol! He wants them to be good layers. I wanted him to get me two of each breed so I could see them all! So far I have those in the picture. We got Araucanas and Barred Rock. Now I want Silkies and Wyandottes!

10. blubaught

blubaught Just Hatched

Mar 8, 2017
    We currently have two Rhode Island Reds, one Buff and one Araucana that lay. The Rhode Island Reds are due to be retired. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by