What breed are these

JoJosChickys

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2022
I have 2, 5 week old pullet chicks . Was told they're Delaware. But only one has a single black dot on its left wing. Also one is bigger. Possibly just fluff. Can anyone verify they're Delaware. They're feed store chicks and I'm relatively new to being a mother hen. Learning my babies as I get them. They both have I little dirt from being outside. The last 2 pictures are the one with a single black spot.

Attachments

• 20220703_194122.jpg
    20220703_194122.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220703_194210.jpg
    20220703_194210.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220703_194009.jpg
    20220703_194009.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220703_194310.jpg
    20220703_194310.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220703_194245.jpg
    20220703_194245.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 4
CX stands for Cornish Cross, which are meat chickens.

If that is what they are, it will become more obvious over the next few weeks, because they will keep growing very rapidly. By the time they are 2 months old, Cornish Cross are often as heavy as a full-grown chicken of many other breeds.

(I'm not sure if they are Cornish Cross or not, just explaining a bit more about the previous poster's comment.)

CX stands for Cornish Cross, which are meat chickens.

If that is what they are, it will become more obvious over the next few weeks, because they will keep growing very rapidly. By the time they are 2 months old, Cornish Cross are often as heavy as a full-grown chicken of many other breeds.

(I'm not sure if they are Cornish Cross or not, just explaining a bit more about the previous poster's comment.)
Thank you. As soon as I read it, I started researching. I really hope not. I'm not looking to eat them. Just their eggs. 😁 Also my Daughter's are attached to them. My EE's and these Beauties are spoiled.

My EE's and these Beauties are spoiled.
Are they the same age? You might get a fast answer about whether the white ones are Cornish Cross, just by comparing them. By 6 weeks, Cornish Cross should probably be twice the weight of same-age Easter Eggers. Just picking them up is enough to notice that much difference, even without using a scale.

Other white chickens can be hard to tell apart, but Cornish Cross grow SO much faster that it's easy to tell when you have other chickens to compare them to.

Are they the same age? You might get a fast answer about whether the white ones are Cornish Cross, just by comparing them. By 6 weeks, Cornish Cross should probably be twice the weight of same-age Easter Eggers. Just picking them up is enough to notice that much difference, even without using a scale.

Other white chickens can be hard to tell apart, but Cornish Cross grow SO much faster that it's easy to tell when you have other chickens to compare them

Other white chickens can be hard to tell apart, but Cornish Cross grow SO much faster that it's easy to tell when you have other chickens to compare them to.
No. EE's are much older. The EE's are close to 3 months old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom