What breed are these??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I found these listed on Craigslist as Golden Cascades, the blonde ones look to be just that but the Blue ones I am not sure about, what breed do you guys think they are?

They look liek Blue Pekins with the big bodies & thick heads..im stumped! But interested in buying them if they're for sale!
    [​IMG]

2. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Looks like white bibs......light blue or splash swedish?

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I've had Swedish before but I don't remember them being that big.. aren't they a medium breed?

4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

5. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Overweight (see that dewlap!) poor quality Blue Swedish is my guess. They could be mixed though.

6. I don't actually know a lot about this Golden Cascades, but I thought I read they are a mix of a few other breeds and that don't necessarily breed true to color. So the second generation after the hatchery stock might start to show all kinds of variation in appearance The most important quality about the Cascades is their laying ability, which I think would be passed down despite however they look. But please don't quote me, maybe someone who knows more about this breed can confirm this.
    Anyway I wonder if these ducks are a few generations down, or like suggested, a mix of the Cascades and other ducks.

7. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I would guess those blues with the white bibs were blue swedish and yep swedish are supposed to be medium sized. Maybe they are mixes of swedish and pekins.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Whatever they are they sure are pretty.

9. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:times two look like mixes

10. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    DWD- I think you are confusing Golden Cascades with Golden 300's. The birds pictured to me though don't look like Golden Cascades anyway. They look like poor quality Buffs. The Blue ones look like poor quality Blue Swedish or first generation mixes that don't have well formed bibs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by