What breed are these?

jeffreytfinley

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 11, 2013
Need help with breeds- I received a few extra chicks in my McMurray order.

Wow they don't fit any chick type exactly that I know of either.

It is hard to see true leg color on the top 2...if they have a greenish tinge...which my monitor may indicate...they could be EE's. EE's can also have yellow legs....and though they usually have muffs and beards, they can also have no muffs or beards. But I do find that usually they have strong wing pattern right off like the 1st one has. So....My guess is the 1st could be an EE with the pattern coming into the wings

The 2nd maybe a Delaware...but its not exactly like that either. Not like a Columbian Wyandotte either. Light Sussex??? But no blacking coming on the neck yet. The black wing tips rules out White Leghorn or Cornish Cross broiler.

3rd one? Could be a Black Star female...but it is not quite dark enough...but it reminds me of that.

Hmmm...they could be hatchery mutts. (Which is probably why they were tossed in free...or I agree...roos).

Here's a good chick photo chart.
https://www.esteshatchery.com/baby-chick-pictures.html

HTH
Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
We had ordered bantams, so I was hoping the extra chicks would be bantams as well. Any roosters are going to auction!

We had ordered bantams, so I was hoping the extra chicks would be bantams as well. Any roosters are going to auction!

My understanding is the hatchery can fill in with extra chicks of their choosing of anything extra on hand that they do not need if they feel the need for shipment safety (warmth of bodies) or in case of chick loss.

if they placed in case of chick loss they are likely duplicates of something you ordered but not necessarily. If placed for body warmth they can be anything.

If the chicks are small like your others, they are likely banties and duplicates. If they are large, then they are probably cheap filler for body warmth.

Lady of McCamley

If they are from McM would guess the of the first two, the top one as an easter egger, the middle BTW japanese, especially if you ordered those breeds or an assortment. Is the last one a standard or a bantam? It looks big in the picture.

They are all the same size, with the exception of what I assume was my free rare chick, which I'm pretty sure is a silver sebright. We had ordered 3 types of Cochins and 4 EE's. I ordered these at the end of July, but that was in the middle of unseasonably cool weather in Illinois.

The third one is black not blue? Comb? Wonder if it is a black japanese from the stance. I also got some mostly black and blue EEs this spring from them, so if pea combed could be that. If it is a clean legged bantam from them, they don't have much besides those two normally.

It's more of a blue- about the same color as my blue Cochin chicks. The three EE's that I know of that i got from them are brown.

Back
Top Bottom