What breed are they?

Stewart1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 12, 2014
Newcastle Australia
Hi all just a quick question about the breed so i can care for them better. They are around 11 weeks. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys and with a little google search you are right but maybe 2nd generation as the lady i got them from said they were a cross breed she did herself.
Please tell me that they are not all cockerels.

Thanks guys and with a little google search you are right but maybe 2nd generation as the lady i got them from said they were a cross breed she did herself.
Please tell me that they are not all cockerels.

Assuming these are Red Sex Links, then they are all cockerels. Red Sex Links are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. The resulting offspring can be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish) and that distinction remains with them as they mature (roosters are white, typically with some reddish feathers in the saddle or wing area, and hens are reddish with white underfluff and some white tail feathers. I only see the reddish feathers on one of the birds in your picture, but perhaps the others have a few reddish feathers than don't show up in the pics, or they may develop a few reddish feathers as they mature more.

Assuming these are Red Sex Links, then they are all cockerels. Red Sex Links are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. The resulting offspring can be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish) and that distinction remains with them as they mature (roosters are white, typically with some reddish feathers in the saddle or wing area, and hens are reddish with white underfluff and some white tail feathers. I only see the reddish feathers on one of the birds in your picture, but perhaps the others have a few reddish feathers than don't show up in the pics, or they may develop a few reddish feathers as they mature more.
x2

Back
Top Bottom