What breed bantam?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StarLover21, Nov 30, 2011.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    People with bantams- what have been the frendliest, sweetest, bantams you've had? Also, are there any hatcheries with a three chick minimum other than MPC and Meyer?
    Thanks!

2. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    I've had bantam Polish, Silkies and Cochin. I had a Silkie rooster that was like a puppy, he was so sweet. Every bantam cochin I have ever had was friendly. Polish were nice, but a little more flighty acting.

My vote for personality goes to the COCHIN.

I do not know any other hatcheries that sell in such a small quantity.

3. blkpoodles

blkpoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Winsted, CT
    i vote for SILKIES!!! i love silkies so so so much, my silkie roo you can just go up and pick him up, my 1 year old daughter can even pick him up and pet him. along with our hens of course. the only hatchery i've gotten chicks from is ideal poultry, also if you get bantams from them they are straight run(unsexed) and you dont know how many boys you'll end up with, the other thing with ideal is they'll throw in extra boys to keep the chicks warm during shipping, i personally never had a problem getting rid of them, just put an ad on craigs list and next day someone came. with ideal you have a min order of $25. i've been able to go lower. once i seen the button for the next step i clicked it. i was able to get away with buying 4 ducks. hope this helps

4. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Cochin and Brahma. I open the door and mine come running. My four-year-old grandson can reach down and pick them up.

Jenny

5. Wnunezcruz

Wnunezcruz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Tennessee
    In my opinion, silkies are the most docile of bantam chickens. If you give them a lot of attention and hugs when they are little the will be close to you when they grow. Plus they are sooooo cute!

6. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I would say it really depends on how clean and dry your setup is. Silkies are terrible for wet weather. Cochins get huuge mud balls stuck to their feet feathers that need to be trimmed or cleaned constantly. I these things aren't a problem, then both are sweeter than piie.

I also have and OEGB and a Dutch Bantam, who have clean legs but wouldn't do well in very cold climates. My Dutch is the sweetest thing on the planet, but she gets cold easily.

All bantams, in my opinion, are super sweet, docile and friendly, so it would reallly just depend on your housing situation.

7. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i vote RIR bantams!!!! ive had many many bantams and these are the only ones who would follow me around and want to be held. thos and cochin bantams

8. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    I love the silkies, but my silkie roo is the ninja chicken, he will run on the fence to stay away from people, When he was little we hung out, the hens are nice, but go broodie a LOT [​IMG]

9. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    I adore my Easter Egger bantam!
    I only have 1 bantam out of my 5 girls and little Clementina is my favorite!!
    She is fearless, yet sweet and friendly. She was the first to eat out of my hand (always gently, too!) and soon learned that she could monopolize the treats by flying into my hand, onto my arm, etc!
    I'll never forget the first time she fell asleep on my arm as I stroked her, cooing all the while.

She's nothing fancy--just a tiny, tuftless EE--probably part game bird, or something like that.
    But she makes me smile every time I go out to the coop!
    Whichever you pick, you are probably bound to fall in love! I love bantams--wish I'd gotten more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by