What breed/breeds should I get

i would say brahmas,wyandottes,dorkings,orpingtons,cochins,ameracauna,easter egger i think thats about it not sure though have fun with what u get!!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Except that only 2 of those breeds can actually get you meat.
wink.png

If you want a good dual purpose chicken that will offer you great meat AND eggs, I'd recommend getting a heritage breed from a breeder, not a hatchery. I know it requires looking, and they're not always available, but it is worth it. Hatcheries and feedstores only offer "production" type chickens that lay a lot of eggs, nothing that actually has "flesh" on its body.

The best breeds for Dual Purpose and Winter hardiness are Rhode Island Reds, Delawares, Plymouth Rocks, and Marans.

Marans especially are quite nice, as most cockerels will reach 5 pounds by at least 4 months old, and get up to 10 pounds or more. Even the hens are big! Also, they lay a decent number of beautiful dark brown eggs.

Again, though, to get both the qualities of good meat and good eggs - Go to breeders.
smile.png

Here's the eggs I'm talking about - These are mine; The red ones in the corner are from Marans.

5116089834_5049e3ef3b_z.jpg

And here's the birds:

5034601292_71b5f925e6_z.jpg

4997257449_60f562ef9c_z.jpg

Check out the breeders and hatchey section. Also ask on your state thread. That's usually the best network.

We have an Easter Egger cockerel and even at 6 months old, if we chose to eat him, it would be a snack and not a meal! Not a lot of meat on his skinny bones.

Delawares, plymouth rocks and Wyandottes are a good choice. Wyandottes have rose combs and are less susceptible to frostbite. Cochins have smaller single combs than other breeds, but don't produce enough eggs for what they eat and they mature too slow for good meat.

check out the Murry McMurry site. Choose the Heavy Breed. Pretty good description of the different breeds that they offer.

plymouth rocks are great for meat, eggs and cold hardy
rhode island reds are even better layers but not as great meat
salmon faverolles are very sweet, good layers, and good for meat and very cold tolerant
although jersey giants take a long tie to mature they are huge and all right layers

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom