What breed could she be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Stuckenberg, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Stuckenberg

Stuckenberg New Egg

Mar 5, 2014
    This little gal (2 y/o hen) is a rescue chicken joining our barnyard. Based on her size we ...ahem, know, she is a Bantam breed but that's about all. We've looked at pictures but can't seem to find a good match.

Any guesses as to what breed she is? Any pointers will be much appreciated :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

You can't find a match because she isn't one breed, she's a mix. Possibly a mix of mixes, even. Does she have cheek puffs? One pic looks like she's kinda bearded. Does she have any feathering or stubbles on her legs?

Her overall shape looks like she has a fair amount of game bird. There are some bantam breeds with puffy cheeks and clean legs, not sure about the straight comb. She may have some Easter egger back there somewhere, but with that straight comb she'll likely not lay blue or green eggs.

3. Chicka and Co

Chicka and Co Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2014
    Australia
    She looks like she could be an Old English Game bantam crossed with something else. She has that round game bird body shape and clean legs but she must have another breed in her too because of that beard. A very gorgeous bird though!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a mix to me. The beard, coloration, and ear muffs make me think that she could have some Belgian Bearded D'anvers in her, as well as some game bird.

5. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I agree. I'm going with OEGB mixed with d'Anver.

6. emma p

emma p Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Kansas
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by