What breed could this bantam be?

aviddamy

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 18, 2014
Yuma, AZ
I had a friend of my husband recently have us come and pick up a hen that was being terrorized by a male duck. At first, from the pictures she sent, I thought she was an australorp, but when we got there I realized she was likely a bantam. She is much smaller than my large breed chickens. What do you guys think she might be? Mix I'm sure. They told me she lays eggs. I haven't seen one yet of course.

Last edited:
She's too big to be a bantam, I think, but I can't see the size that well. I'm guessing she's a Black Old English Game (mix?), but can't tell. Could you post a full-bodied pic of her?

She didn't want to stand still. She is about half the size of my buff Orpington. Maybe 2/3 the size of a full grown Easter Egger. She lays eggs but idk what color or size. Her tail doesn't look Old English Game but I'm sure she's a mix.

Last edited:
Hm...I'm guessing that it is an extremely mixed breed (perhaps with some Black Old English). The generations of cross-breeding probably contributed to it's size. So, I suppose it could be considered a "bantam".

It's very possible. I live in a border town and she came from a place that gave away their chickens. She's very tolerant of people, not flighty at all. I can walk up to her and pick her up, no flapping. And her tail sits almost straight up most of the time. She's interesting that's for sure.

Last edited:
It's very possible. I live in a border town and she came from a place that gave away their chickens. She's very tolerant of people, not flighty at all. I can walk up to her and pick her up, no flapping. And her tail sits almost straight up most of the time. She's interesting that's for sure.
That's a plus. I'm betting she had some Old English and/or Leghorn in her. What color eggs does she lay?

Back
Top Bottom