What breed do I have?

Chawaii

Hatching
Feb 26, 2020
Hi everyone, I’ve recently moved back home to Hawaii and noticed that chickens have taken over our street. There are about 6 hens, 4 roosters and now 13 chicks (3 of which I caught in my garage). I’m trying to figure out what breed they are and how to tell if the chicks will be hens or roosters. we’re also hoping to learn how to get rid of the roosters since our hoa wont help. Any help and advice would be appreciated! Thank you! Here’s one of them
E770B51B-915F-4DF4-AEA0-5024EEA60804.jpeg

To young to tell the gender quite yet or the breed...Could you take some pictures of the parents? It might be easier to identify the breed. And what are you going to do with the chicks you caught? And where did you put them?
This is some of the tribe. The chicks are back out with them because I don’t have the resources to care for them right now. Each residence is allowed to keep only 2 for eggs and the rest of the hens plus the roosters need to go. I know many people who will give the hens good homes it’s just a matter of catching them which is tricky. They’ve been in my neighborhood for about 5 years and have recently picked our street for their home base since my neighbor feeds them and they roost in the tree next door since that house is currently vacant. All of our shrubs and plants are dead or completely gone because of their digging and the poop is another story. We’re just frustrated and trying to find a workable solution so we can finally start planting new greenery and sprucing up the street.

Attachments

• BFF31B02-1AC4-4335-85B6-38320E3FFF60.jpeg
    BFF31B02-1AC4-4335-85B6-38320E3FFF60.jpeg
    564.2 KB · Views: 14
  • DA04486F-3862-45D3-ABF4-8F8A8C58621B.jpeg
    DA04486F-3862-45D3-ABF4-8F8A8C58621B.jpeg
    843 KB · Views: 15
Thanks everyone! I’m going to try set up a wire dog crate with some scratch and see how many I can get. My HOA offered the use of cat traps but I don’t have much faith in that. They’re so cute but boy do they ruin curb appeal and wake up my kids at all hours of the night lol. They also roost in a breadfruit tree that’s pretty high so I’m going to have to get creative.
I also had no idea chickens could cross breed 😅 so this might be a silly question but are all breeds of chicken eggs good to eat? Just asking because we do intend on keeping them if they produce good eggs. We’ve been too scared to try them.

Back
Top Bottom