what breed do you like

I started with muscovy and cayuga and sold the cayuga at the end of the reason. The muscovy have better personalities, my cayuga did not get along with my flock. The muscovy lay nice sized eggs and the meat was really good. Since we liked their personalies better, we sold the cayuga for a profit!

As babies (nothing cuter!):
37992_005.jpg

As adults:
37992_135.jpg

(Some of those are runners--the magpies have all-white bellies and large patches of black or blue on the back and top of head; the one with a white chest but blue underneath is a runner---magpies are ALL white on belly and chest)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oo, anconas! When I ordered my magpies, I literally crossed out and re-wrote my order about three times because I couldn't decide between anconas and magpies. Anconas are slightly larger than magpies and produce slightly fewer eggs per year (on average). But their wild patterns are totally cool.

awesomefowl, I love your sig line! I'm a homeschooling mom & will be delighted if my children at your age are as articulate as you are. I also wish more people would remember that Jesus came not to condemn... but any more on that topic and I'd probably be breaking forum rules on politics and/or religion, so I'll leave it at that.
smile.png

Aconas are cool.
smile.png

I wanted layers and started with khaki's and a runner. Then a got a buff. Since I got all of them as adults, they were all a bit skittish. Runners are excellent egg layers and the khaki hen did great too. She got injured though and then died. My khaki drake was a bit of a jerk and it could have been mating related. The buff did become friendly after a very short time, but OMG was she LOUD!!!!

I sold the khaki drake and the buff hen together.

I kept the runner and picked up some welsh harlequins. I was hooked. The WH were friendly, cute and hilarious. They are also excellent layers and kept up with the runner in the egg department. I eventually sold the runner and now have an all WH flock.

If I had to pick up another breed, I think I would get scovies. I don't like the idea of clipping wings, but they are an excellent meat bird, will brood their own babies, and are QUIET
big_smile.png

Since I live in suburbia, a quiet duck is a good option.

Scovies are very quiet. I am deaf, but my family tells me!
gig.gif

They can only fly when they are growing up, after that they don't need their wings clipped, they get too fat. At least, the kind I have...........mine are the really large white ones.

I don't have ducks, yet, and haven't decided what I would want to get when I am ready to get some. I love mallards and gadwalls, but you see those everywhere. I also like muscovy ducks, too and I think calls are cute. And, runners seem really fun. So, if I were to get some today, it would be a mix of those.

Personally I like the pekins....no reason, I just like them. I love cayugas, something about a black bird that lays black eggs
droolin.gif
I don't think there's any that I don't like really, except muscovies, I hate muscovies
hide.gif

Oh, and after going to a poultry show and hearing all those call ducks sounding off I've decided that I'm glad I didn't get calls....I have enough loud-mouthed birds!

Back
Top Bottom