What breed do you think my chook is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mhardy62, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Mhardy62

Mhardy62 Out Of The Brooder

My husband bought me some day old chickens in September and I can figure out 4 of the 5. They are approximately 14-15 weeks old. There are 2 RIRs, pretty sure one is a boy, a gold laced wyandotte and a black australorp. It's the boofy grey one that I am not sure on. Any ideas would be great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Feathered feet = blue Cochin
    Clean feet = blue Orpington

Girl! :)

3. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

I would put my money on the grey one being a Blue Australorp pullet.

It could be an Orp, but AUstralorps are far more common here. If it has white soled feet Australorp, yellow soles is Orpington.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Blue Orpington to me.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. I'm guessing blue Australorp because of your location. Perhaps a Orpington.

6. Mhardy62

Thanks, I'll go and check the color of the soles. I was thinking blue Orpington based on photos I looked at via google. She looks different to the black australorp with the feathers and general shape - fluffier almost, and waddles when she walks.

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

8. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a little Blue Australorp cockerel that look similar.

[​IMG]
    10 weeks old (and thats not a growth on it neck lol, another chick in the background!)

9. chickenfeet101

chickenfeet101 Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]This was our blue australorp roo at 8 weeks. looks like similar colouring.

10. Mhardy62

Checked the soles of the feet and they are more pink than yellow. The photo i posted was taken the same day and she is 15 weeks old. She is the smallest of the 5 in height, but filled out more. Color is the same as those posted so definitely a blue something. Feathers are the same shape as the australorp, so quite rounded.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by