What breed do you think my chooks are and do I definitely have a rooster in my flock?

dawnrc

Hatching
Apr 4, 2016
Hi all, I'm new here because I'm trying to establish what breed my rescue chooks are, I rescued what I thought were 3 hens back at the end of October, being a complete novice I had no idea one of them was a rooster, I say that but I'm still not 100% sure so first question is what do you guys think? Here "he" is, my nephew named him Doodle so maybe he knows already :)

Doodle has large spurs, the comb and wattle are much more prominent and longer neck and tail feathers that the others although the tail feathers aren't that long really.

The next question would be what breed do you think my little flock are? I was inclined to think ISA Brown but the "rooster" has thrown me because when searching google some of the ISA Brown roosters seem to have black feathers too, here are pics of the girls too to help you identify :)

Thank you very much in advance :)

Hi all, I'm new here because I'm trying to establish what breed my rescue chooks are, I rescued what I thought were 3 hens back at the end of October, being a complete novice I had no idea one of them was a rooster, I say that but I'm still not 100% sure so first question is what do you guys think? Here "he" is, my nephew named him Doodle so maybe he knows already :) Doodle has large spurs, the comb and wattle are much more prominent and longer neck and tail feathers that the others although the tail feathers aren't that long really. The next question would be what breed do you think my little flock are? I was inclined to think ISA Brown but the "rooster" has thrown me because when searching google some of the ISA Brown roosters seem to have black feathers too, here are pics of the girls too to help you identify :) Thank you very much in advance :)
Don't know the breed, but Doodle is a rooster. Some hens get large combslike the Leghorn for example, but being that he has curved tail feathers, some hackle/saddle feathers, and Spurs. He would be a rooster. Some hens can grow Spurs also (keep in note), but he's definitely a rooster. :)

If there is no rooster some hens will start to Crow, grow rooster feathers, and act like a rooster, I believe that is what your roo/hen is doing

he doesn't crow at all, it's only the visual characteristics that make me think it's a rooster.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Good point, because not only do I not know their breed or this ones sex I also have no idea how old they are, I mean none of this stuff worries me at all, I'm just curious :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

He is without a doubt a rooster. Hens don't have spurs, only small spur bumps. He also has thick legs, a tail arch, and HUGE bright red combs and wattles.

Hens can have Spurs too... Not just spur bumps. I have some...
smile.png

Of course, but it's extremely rare. Its not just the spurs, its the thick legs, the tail arch as well as big red combs and wattles.

Back
Top Bottom