What breed do you use for meaties and why?

If you call them they will send you a brochure on what they have. They have three meat birds, a Kosher King which I raised last year, they look like a barred rock or a Coo-Coo Maran on steroids, they also have what they call a Red meat Maker which they say is thier largest bird and a white meat maker. If you google them you will get thier phone number and call them and they will send you the brochure and the prices. They also have R.R. very cheap. MT-DI has a web site you can google. Nolls are Menanites and so don't have a web site. I think you can fax or call in your orders. Very nice people.

Bucky, thanks so much for this info--I am going to order from one of them. I liked the MT-DI's site, they seemed pretty downhome and honest. I'm glad you posted this on my thread! I hope others also consider either of these places.

I'll post how it goes after I order. Do these birds--Rosambro, FR, or any of the Nolls birds do okay in the heat of summer? Or should I wait til later summer to order so they'll be ready to butcher in the fall? (it gets hot here!) Guess I can call either farm to ask, also.
Do the KK have a dark blackish meat like a barred rock? (I've not seen BR meat, I've been told their meat is almost black)

Seth-- 12 lbs! WHOA! that's huge! I'm probably going to try the Cornish X sometime, just to see the difference.

I raised mine in KS last year and 80-90 degree temps (fall) was not usual then I got cold If I was worried about heat I would go with Noll's or the Freedom Ranger MT-DI offers. I am sure the Rosambro would do all right but they are a more larger breasted breed and that would be my only concern. I would call MT-DI and ask them to see what they think.

Pomeranians-- favorite meat goose in Europe for a couple of centuries. You can't be the favorite for 200 years without being good.

Silver Appleyards -- because they are large and easy going, making them easy to be around.

Black Swedish, because they can't be shown, so they are culls.

If your interested in getting the most meat yeild to $ spent and time spent then go witht he Cornish X's. I have a 13 lb cornish X right now (last of all of them this summer) that is not yet 10 weeks old. If you like the idea breeding your own and doing the sustainable living life then your choice can be Rocks, Orpingtons or some others that really get meaty for ya.

Why not dual purpose?

They are naturally healthier than broilers. They can breed normally, so you can hatch your own chicks without having to order batches of chicks all the time (saving money?). Many of the "heritage breed" hens will even hatch eggs for you and take care of the chicks (again, saving money?).

You can have eggs to eat, and you can slaughter for meat your surplus young males and your hens that are too old to lay and your roosters that are too old to be fertile anymore, as well as any other culls (chickens you don't want to keep around for whatever reason). Since dual-purpose mature at a balanced rate, they don't all have to be slaughtered within a narrow window of time like broilers--you can slaughter young cockerels (or pullets, if you have too many) anywhere from 3 1/2 months to 7 months, depending on whether you want "game hens" or "slow roasters" or anything in between, and old hens or roosters past their prime can be slaughtered whenever, as needed, for soup or stew or braising.

Because of their balanced growth, they also suffer less health problems, don't require such demanding and precise food rations, and yield more nutritious and more flavorful meat.

Also, there are many beautiful and historical breeds to choose from that are all very useful in these regards, many of which are well adapted to particular climates or conditions or specific needs, and many have wonderful and colorful histories to boot. Some of them are in danger of extinction, and could use more support and interest from home flock owners.

There's more to "efficiency" and usefulness to consider than just "feed conversion" and "yield." We don't need to be perpetuating the factory farm propaganda...

Good luck, whatever you choose!

Quote:
It's only May and it's already in the 90's and humid here. I wouldn't want to see Cornish X's in June, let alone August here! It doesn't only get hot here, but the humidity just flattens you. I didn't understand it myself till I moved down here. I am from W. PA, and lived in Philadelphia for a year, and central Indiana for 7 years. It gets HOT in Phila and IN in the summer, but it is NOTHING compared to summers here in the South. And I am in Northern NC, not Georgia or further South. The heat and humidity are unbearable.

I'm ordering a bunch for ourselves as well as three other households. When we all talked about it, it seemed they all want them NOW. If so, it won't be CornishX, cuz butchering time will be late July or early Aug--I'm with mama24--I'm thinking it'll be too warm for them. But probably not for some of those Bucky suggested. I have to talk to the others who want the birds and see where we go from here. Can't beat those prices at Nolls and MT-DI, so we'll be ordering from them. I haven't called Nolls, yet, Bucky, but I actually plan on calling them first-- thanks SO much for telling me about them!

I have choosen Barred Rocks. Because of the duality of the breed.they lay great eggs.Plus they are beautiful birds and very friendly.

Back
Top Bottom