What breed do you use for meaties and why?

Delighted

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Atlanta
We're looking into getting some meat birds, and all I've ever hear was the name Cornish Rock--until here! So what's the best in your opinion and why?

Also, I'm wondering if there's a local place in NW GA to pick up some meat chicks.

TIA

Last edited:
Why not dual purpose?

They are naturally healthier than broilers. They can breed normally, so you can hatch your own chicks without having to order batches of chicks all the time (saving money?). Many of the "heritage breed" hens will even hatch eggs for you and take care of the chicks (again, saving money?).

You can have eggs to eat, and you can slaughter for meat your surplus young males and your hens that are too old to lay and your roosters that are too old to be fertile anymore, as well as any other culls (chickens you don't want to keep around for whatever reason). Since dual-purpose mature at a balanced rate, they don't all have to be slaughtered within a narrow window of time like broilers--you can slaughter young cockerels (or pullets, if you have too many) anywhere from 3 1/2 months to 7 months, depending on whether you want "game hens" or "slow roasters" or anything in between, and old hens or roosters past their prime can be slaughtered whenever, as needed, for soup or stew or braising.

Because of their balanced growth, they also suffer less health problems, don't require such demanding and precise food rations, and yield more nutritious and more flavorful meat.

Also, there are many beautiful and historical breeds to choose from that are all very useful in these regards, many of which are well adapted to particular climates or conditions or specific needs, and many have wonderful and colorful histories to boot. Some of them are in danger of extinction, and could use more support and interest from home flock owners.

There's more to "efficiency" and usefulness to consider than just "feed conversion" and "yield." We don't need to be perpetuating the factory farm propaganda...

Good luck, whatever you choose!

When we started out thinking about meat birds we heard about so many challenges with Cornish X that we kept looking. For ethical and practical reasons, we wanted a bird that could live a normal healthy life, would actively forage, didn't have a short processing window, and could reproduce.

We started with Freedom Rangers and really liked raising them. They taste great and we've processed them at a range of 10-13 weeks. We have plenty of pasture and can fit three batches of meaties into our season. It works for us. I have looked into red and black broilers but all the hatcheries I talked to said they would not recommend keeping them over for breeding. We have one-year-old Rangers that are reproducing what so far look like pretty good replicas of the parents (oldest are seven weeks now).

Mrs Mucket,
please keep us up to date on your ranger babies! I would love to hear if they breed true, I have stuck to DP breeds for that reason. but would like to have some that fill out faster.

I raise the Cornish X almost every year and they do great, I loose a few as chicks but thats no different then any other breeds. I feed whole grains, not commercial feed which slows down their growing. They also free range and wander all over the place, not lazy at all IMO

What's the difference between Cornish Rock and Cornish X?

Do Freedom Rangers process at about 5 lbs? (Around 8-12 weeks?) I do like the idea of breeding our own, but I have read the the Cornish Rocks are really easy to process-- easier than most chickens. We just processed 14 "extras" this weekend. (extra roos and hens that were no longer laying). It wasn't too horrible except for two of the roosters my son and I had named--but they still were extras

I'd love to buy locally, but I need 50-75, so I'm thinking I have to go through a hatchery. Locally would be Atlanta and vicinity. Any such place? Or can anyone recommend a good hatchery?

Thanks

Last year our Rangers weighed from 3.5 - 6.5# dressed, at 10-13 weeks. I have heard of heavier weights from others.

Jdopler, I will keep you posted. My kids are asking for photos so I'll take some this week.

CX only. They work well, and if I push them to 10 weeks I can get a finished bird in excess of 8lbs dressed. Once I'm done, I've got my meat for 6 months.

Mrs. Mucket :

Last year our Rangers weighed from 3.5 - 6.5# dressed, at 10-13 weeks. I have heard of heavier weights from others.

Jdopler, I will keep you posted. My kids are asking for photos so I'll take some this week.

The Cornish X Hybrid will give the fastest growth but if its for your own use.

Considering Dual Purpose Breeds?

We've had weights of 3.5 - 4 pounds from our Buckeyes at 20 weeks. Inch and a half to two inch breast The buckeyes are also great at foraging.

White Rocks or Buckeyes are a decent choice if you are looking for a sustainable flock.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom