What breed do you use for meaties and why?

Once you know which are the roos you can continue them on higher protein. We have the Barred & White Rock in additions together types. I't no wonder these bird were one of our ancestors favorites.

Read up on thee way to grow the dual purpose for meat, when to process, and fold older hens and roos "fowl" how to cook and you won't be disappointed with your end product.

If you are like us you won't be disappointed with the flavor.

Quote:
Dark Cornish are another good dual purpose if you are PARTICULARLY interested in meat. Being related to the foundation breeds of the meat crosses they have a similar heavy build with a lot of meat, like little dinosaurs, only they have all the redeeming virtues of a heritage breed. They are good at foraging, and are hardy and vigorous, and the hens make fantastic setters and mothers in my experience. We have a mutt flock currently, but our original rooster was purebred DC, as are my two broodies. All of them came from McMurray. My only criticism is that DC as a breed tend to be flighty and highstrung sometimes, and also we've had some aggressive roos. In other words, they have a strong "game fowl" streak to them...

i use slow growing oriental games and standard pure cornish and sometimes birds tat looks like phoenix, leghorns, minorca and birds of that sort, the wait is worth it cuzz they have more flavor the meat on the breast isn't as dry as cornish cross

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom