What breed don't you appreciate?

I prefer anything with a nice big single comb, clean shanks and feet and visible wattles. For some reason, those characteristics just fit the definition of "chicken" for me. I like big, fat friendly chickens like Jersey Giants and Orpingtons.

I had a Yokohama rooster for awhile; I got him because I thought it would be cool to have a rooster with such long sickles. He was gorgeous, but he was so MEAN! Argh... So I guess with that breed, I can only admire them from afar, but I don't think I'd raise them again.

I'm not really a fan of the Cornish Rocks. They're very obviously muscular and don't have a lot of tailfeathers. Showgirls are a bit creepy, but they're better than regular Turkens.

I think Sumatras are kind of bizarre-looking -- kind of like a crow with sickles -- but I don't think I dislike them.

I have to disagree with the thought that Leghorns are all spastic. My best friend had five of them when we were kids, and they acted like humans were evil incarnate.

BUT, my two Leghorn pullets, Simone and Vera, are extremely friendly girls. They love to be held and cuddled, and they don't even flail when you pick them up! I never thought I would like Leghorns because of what you hear about their behaviour, but soon after I bought my girls I was sold on them!

Poor Turkens-

The Easter Eggers that I have incubating right now may have some turkens in there. The lady I got them from had that listed in fine print at the bottom of the page-which I didnt see until I had already clicked "buy it now"...and at first I was appalled. However over the past couple weeks I have changed my mind and hope for some. I like their vulture appearance.

I love silkies- how can you not like Poodle Chickens?
I wish I could dye them before they hatch and have pink and purple poodle chickens.

I also just set Show Girls....dandelion heads..
clap.gif

Im not allowed to have chickens where I live, so these will be illegal- and I figured I can just deny it: "Chickens? Where? Those??? Those are CHICKENS?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I was told they were a rare breed of dog/cat/rabbit!!!!!!!!!!!!""

I think I do not care for the barred rocks. Too zebraish for me. I have a couple chicks now that I starting to get their zebra wings.

I don't care for the Naked Neck Turkens. They are quite Vulturesque in appearance. I have had 24 Guiniea Hens in the past and these are much worse. I'm a licensed wildlife rehabber and once worked to save a Black Vulture that had a broken wing. I cared for it three days feeding it raw venison meat and raw eggs. (It would leave NOTHING behind...not even the SHELL!) I was giving it injections of antibiotics to keep it from getting sicker and the wing was in a cast. Well, one day, Mr. Black Vulture, in a show of gratitude decide to vomit three days worth of carrion all over me!
barnie.gif
I quickly injected him and ran to the shower. It smelled like Grand Central Station and Union Square in NYC before it was cleaned up back in the 1980's and skunk time ten. I couldn't get that smell out of my nose for hours. Back away from any bird that looks like that...God made it a warning sign.

As far as any of the laced, patterned birds...I get dizzy looking at them and feel like I'm going to get carsick if I stare at them too much. They remind me of a 500 piece double-sided puzzle my parents got me when I was ten. One side was all yellow and black with repeating patterns. All 500 pieces were the same color and exact shape and size. The other side was white. I thought that I was going to die. Those patterned birds make me go back in time. With a couple of more therapy sessions, I may be able to Google one in a couple of years and not hit the back button.
duc.gif

ha ha...Kees, did you ever get the puzzle put together? Perhaps that is why I don't like the barred rocks, maybe there is some childhood trauma somewhere that I have repressed. However, I don't think I was ever chased by a zebra or anything similar.

I am also a wildlife rehabber- only I don't get to do cool things like vultures..nope, I get rabbits, squirrels, opossums, pigeons and raccoons.

Funny for me to have a cage of raccoons in the garage and raccoon proof my chickens- always have to remember to wash my hands of all chicken scent before handling the coons.

Back
Top Bottom