what breed for 4-H?

Chickenlover0810

Songster
Sep 5, 2019
Michigan
in my county you can bring 3 of the same breed of laying hens to 4-H, they get judged on appearance mostly. we are getting new chicks in like a month, i dont know what breed would be the best for laying AND have a good appearance.
any opinions???
much appreciated!

Lots of breeds are decent layers. Are you wanting hybrid layers or heritage breeds? What's good looking in a chicken is subjective. That's why there's so many breeds to pick from.

I personally like buff Orpingtons, Ancona, Australorp, and gold laced Wyandotte for decent laying.

Leghorns and andalusian are also great layers. It all depends on what you like in a chicken.

Good appearance is subjective.

They will likely be judged against the standard of perfection for their individual breed, so it could be a beautiful (subjective) breed and score poorly for not meeting the standard, or score very well for being an outstanding example of a relatively plain breed.

Hatchery stock is hit or miss at best, but if 4-H is your end goal, it’s more about finding birds you will enjoy and learning from the experience. It will allow you to make the most of what you have.

One consideration though: White colored birds will require more grooming. Patterned birds will be more prone to pattern “flaws” so pick your poison.

I would prefer a quiet bird for new young poultry handlers, and one that is size appropriate.

Birds I would consider good choices for both egg production and youth exhibition:
Australorps (if they’re big enough to handle them)
Orpingtons (again, consider size. They can be big)
Partridge Plymouth Rocks (I love this pattern for A change from the barred appearance that is so hard to get just right, and so common)
Wyandottes (beautiful if the pattern is correct)
Salmon Faverolles (a funny smaller bird that lays a big egg for its size)
Speckled Sussex (mine has underwhelmed me in the egg department but she’s just so cute)

ok so with all the info i have, i have 3 breeds that i need to decide on. which breeds are the most docile but they also need to be curious?
-Leghorn
-Austrulorp
-wyondotte

also i really like the color of the Mille Fleur leghorn are they REALLY rare and how expensive are we talking?

Back
Top Bottom