What breed for egg laying?

Leghorns are good, they lay lots of white eggs. Sex-Links are also pretty good, but usually succumb to reproductive issues after 2 years. There are also breeds that will lay a few less eggs but will stay healthy and lay for years. Here are some:
Orpington. Very docile, lays lots of large brown eggs. Cold-hardy, and moderately heat-tolerant.
Australorp. Also very docile, lay lots of large brown eggs. An Australorp hen holds the world record for most eggs laid in a year, but most hens won't be too close to the amount that hen laid. Cold hardy, and more heat-tolerant than Orps.
Rock. Docile, lays lots of light pinkish tan eggs, cold-hardy and heat-tolerant.
Dorking. Lays lots of big white eggs, docile, and cold-tolerant. Somewhat heat tolerant. Comes in rose and single comb varieties.
Easter Egger. A fun breed, lays (usually) lots of green, white, blue, or pinkish tan eggs. Comes in many, many different colors. It is a mix; no two are alike. Hardiness and tolerance depends on the cross of breeds, but usually moderately tolerant of both. Warning: Any chick sold as
"Ameraucana" "Araucana" or "Americana" from someone other than a reputable breeder is most likely an Easter Egger.
Sussex. A docile breed, very heat and cold tolerant in my opinion. Lays lots of brown eggs, and comes in many colors.
Hope this helps!
Thanks for your prompt reply. Is very informative and gives me more to consider than leghorns.

Leghorns are good, they lay lots of white eggs. Sex-Links are also pretty good, but usually succumb to reproductive issues after 2 years. There are also breeds that will lay a few less eggs but will stay healthy and lay for years. Here are some:
Orpington. Very docile, lays lots of large brown eggs. Cold-hardy, and moderately heat-tolerant.
Australorp. Also very docile, lay lots of large brown eggs. An Australorp hen holds the world record for most eggs laid in a year, but most hens won't be too close to the amount that hen laid. Cold hardy, and more heat-tolerant than Orps.
Rock. Docile, lays lots of light pinkish tan eggs, cold-hardy and heat-tolerant.
Dorking. Lays lots of big white eggs, docile, and cold-tolerant. Somewhat heat tolerant. Comes in rose and single comb varieties.
Easter Egger. A fun breed, lays (usually) lots of green, white, blue, or pinkish tan eggs. Comes in many, many different colors. It is a mix; no two are alike. Hardiness and tolerance depends on the cross of breeds, but usually moderately tolerant of both. Warning: Any chick sold as
"Ameraucana" "Araucana" or "Americana" from someone other than a reputable breeder is most likely an Easter Egger.
Sussex. A docile breed, very heat and cold tolerant in my opinion. Lays lots of brown eggs, and comes in many colors.
Hope this helps!
Thanks for your prompt reply. Is very informative and gives me more to consider than leghorns.

I practically just said what TheOddOneOut just said. (I recently bought four Americanas, one speckled sussex, two Welsummers and two blue laced red wyandottes.)

Welsummers are friendly, smart, and should lay beautiful dark brown eggs!

Blue laced red wyandottes are really pretty and lay light brown eggs (more cold than heat hard though)

I will echo about white Leghorns and great egg laying. They lay a large white egg and a lot of them. They handle cold and hot weather well. I have also had brown and red varieties of leghorns but they don’t lay as many eggs as the white ones. Another good point about leghorns is that they are smaller only around 4.5 pounds and don’t require as much feed as larger breeds.

I will echo about white Leghorns and great egg laying. They lay a large white egg and a lot of them. They handle cold and hot weather well. I have also had brown and red varieties of leghorns but they don’t lay as many eggs as the white ones. Another good point about leghorns is that they are smaller only around 4.5 pounds and don’t require as much feed as larger breeds.
Thanks so much for your prompt reply and info

I run 6-10 birds at a given time of a couple generations (pullets that lay from November until the following October are first year rockstars but the next winter is a famine) .

my preference is each chicken is a different breed (or type as when it comes to Easter Eggers, sex links etc), easier to monitor for illness, diet, etc, give them each a name for the kids.

leghorn as said above is a total rockstar. However , just like the reviews will say,very flighty. The only bird I cant pick up to put in the pen if she doesn’t get lured in by treats, practically kills herself trying to get away. But jeez for 6+ eggs a week it’s worth it.

Red sex link is solid (mine is golden buff from Meyer).

basically if I just wanted production I would go Red sex link, Leghorn, and Easter Eggers (or the new “green queen”) from Meyer. That would be a pretty flock that laid green or blue, brown, and white eggs.

Other favorite layers have included Plymouth barred rock, Delaware, New Hampshire Red, Buff Orpington.

I haven’t really decided on my Dominique yet.

Of significant interest to me is the chick I am raising right now. “Austra white”. A hybrid of leghorn and Australorp. Supposedly docile but lays like then leghorn. If this is true this breed will earn a permanent place in my rotation.

decide if you are going to cull (eat) birds. If not, that is OK! But if not, and you wanted say 9 birds, I would suggest getting 3 a year or 5 one year 4 the next. This way yo a) get to raise chicks twice! And b) get more eggs for multiple winters.

I run 6-10 birds at a given time of a couple generations (pullets that lay from November until the following October are first year rockstars but the next winter is a famine) .

my preference is each chicken is a different breed (or type as when it comes to Easter Eggers, sex links etc), easier to monitor for illness, diet, etc, give them each a name for the kids.

leghorn as said above is a total rockstar. However , just like the reviews will say,very flighty. The only bird I cant pick up to put in the pen if she doesn’t get lured in by treats, practically kills herself trying to get away. But jeez for 6+ eggs a week it’s worth it.

Red sex link is solid (mine is golden buff from Meyer).

basically if I just wanted production I would go Red sex link, Leghorn, and Easter Eggers (or the new “green queen”) from Meyer. That would be a pretty flock that laid green or blue, brown, and white eggs.

Other favorite layers have included Plymouth barred rock, Delaware, New Hampshire Red, Buff Orpington.

I haven’t really decided on my Dominique yet.

Of significant interest to me is the chick I am raising right now. “Austra white”. A hybrid of leghorn and Australorp. Supposedly docile but lays like then leghorn. If this is true this breed will earn a permanent place in my rotation.

decide if you are going to cull (eat) birds. If not, that is OK! But if not, and you wanted say 9 birds, I would suggest getting 3 a year or 5 one year 4 the next. This way yo a) get to raise chicks twice! And b) get more eggs for multiple winters.
Thanks for the prompt reply. It is very informative. I especially like your idea of phasing in the number of birds each season. I originally was planning on obtaining 10 hens at once, but I need to rethink that plan.

My 6 Black Australorps average over 5 eggs a day. They’re awesome birds! I think they fit your situation and location quite well. Do some homework but you’ll be happy with whatever breed you decide on. Chickens are fun, entertaining and they squirt out eggs!

Back
Top Bottom