What breed for egg laying?

Pics
I am new to raising chickens and today I completed the finishing touches on my chicken coop and run. I am anticipating ordering my first chickens in the next few weeks but I am clueless as to what breed to purchase. For my initial chickens, I want them for egg laying. I live in central North Carolina and we have four distinct seasons -- hot summers and moderate winters. Do you have any suggestions as to what breed that I should purchase for my purpose?

I am new to raising chickens and today I completed the finishing touches on my chicken coop and run. I am anticipating ordering my first chickens in the next few weeks but I am clueless as to what breed to purchase. For my initial chickens, I want them for egg laying. I live in central North Carolina and we have four distinct seasons -- hot summers and moderate winters. Do you have any suggestions as to what breed that I should purchase for my purpose?
Leghorns are good, they lay lots of white eggs. Sex-Links are also pretty good, but usually succumb to reproductive issues after 2 years. There are also breeds that will lay a few less eggs but will stay healthy and lay for years. Here are some:
Orpington. Very docile, lays lots of large brown eggs. Cold-hardy, and moderately heat-tolerant.
Australorp. Also very docile, lay lots of large brown eggs. An Australorp hen holds the world record for most eggs laid in a year, but most hens won't be too close to the amount that hen laid. Cold hardy, and more heat-tolerant than Orps.
Rock. Docile, lays lots of light pinkish tan eggs, cold-hardy and heat-tolerant.
Dorking. Lays lots of big white eggs, docile, and cold-tolerant. Somewhat heat tolerant. Comes in rose and single comb varieties.
Easter Egger. A fun breed, lays (usually) lots of green, white, blue, or pinkish tan eggs. Comes in many, many different colors. It is a mix; no two are alike. Hardiness and tolerance depends on the cross of breeds, but usually moderately tolerant of both. Warning: Any chick sold as
"Ameraucana" "Araucana" or "Americana" from someone other than a reputable breeder is most likely an Easter Egger.
Sussex. A docile breed, very heat and cold tolerant in my opinion. Lays lots of brown eggs, and comes in many colors.
Hope this helps!

I will echo about white Leghorns and great egg laying. They lay a large white egg and a lot of them. They handle cold and hot weather well. I have also had brown and red varieties of leghorns but they don’t lay as many eggs as the white ones. Another good point about leghorns is that they are smaller only around 4.5 pounds and don’t require as much feed as larger breeds.

For egg production and feed to egg ratio, you just can't beat white leghorns. As everyone has said.

The different sexlinks can offer similar short-term production sometimes but are mixes, may not lay as long, and can have health issues.

Brown layers known for good production include plymouth rocks, australorps, new hampshire or rhode island reds, and a few others.

If temperament matters, many will suggest orpingtons for their sweet disposition. They're also decent layers. Sussex and australorps also tend to be pretty docile but individuals and bloodlines/genetics will vary.

If you want colored eggs, easter eggers will typically give you a good amount of green or blue. Cream legbars will cost a bit more but lay a lot of blue eggs. For dark brown, marans and welsummers are common but typically don't lay as much as the most productive breeds. Olive or green egg hybrids are available too.

Sorry a lot of this just summarizes/repeats what everyone has so helpfully said. Basically, there are a ton of good options and it depends a lot on your personal preferences - like whether personality, egg color, or looks matter.

My recommendation? I'd get a couple birds of 2 or 3 breeds you're interested in and see what you like. We've been surprised by how much we fell in love with cream legbars and australorps, while not enjoying our (bossy/not so productive) wyandottes as much as expected.

Good luck!

Whitings are a new breed that are bred with leghorns, they lay either blue or greenish eggs. (Advertised to lay 300 eggs per year. About the same as leghorns!) There are lots of good laying hens out there! Leghorns are the absolute best though! (White store bought eggs are most likely from a leghorn!) Good luck finding the perfect breed!

I will echo about white Leghorns and great egg laying. They lay a large white egg and a lot of them. They handle cold and hot weather well. I have also had brown and red varieties of leghorns but they don’t lay as many eggs as the white ones. Another good point about leghorns is that they are smaller only around 4.5 pounds and don’t require as much feed as larger breeds.
Thanks so much for your prompt reply and info

Actually if you are looking at # of eggs per year, the Khaki Campbell ducks beat everything.

Have you considered that chickens aren't the only option?

Ducks are easier to herd than chickens in some ways if you can accept the fact that they are a bit messier and need more water.

New status! On Thursday, 5/28/2020, I purchased 10 leghorns from Tractor Supply. This is my first experience with chickens since my brief exposure as a preschooler. I had gone to the location to do some comparison shopping for supplies (fount, feeder, heat lamp, etc.) and had no intention of purchasing any chicks. But when I walked in I heard chirping in the air, and I wander to the sound. They were just putting out some new arrivals. I shopped around for a while and in the back of my thoughts was "Should I get some chicks today?". Finally, I could not resist, so I purchased five as well as other needed supplies for them. I got home and finished setting up my brooder. I placed them in it and they looked so lost in the big space. I decided that I could handle more, so I return to the store and purchased another five. They are doing well and I am so excited and happy. On June 8, another store is suppose to get some buff orpingtons and I am contemplating about adding a few more to my flock. Thanks for all the helpful advice.
IMG_0742.JPG IMG_0744.JPG IMG_0746.JPG

For egg laying in a warmer climate leghorns are the best. You can also get sex links. They go by many names, and lay well for a season or two.

Back
Top Bottom