What breed for egg laying?

Pics
I am new to raising chickens and today I completed the finishing touches on my chicken coop and run. I am anticipating ordering my first chickens in the next few weeks but I am clueless as to what breed to purchase. For my initial chickens, I want them for egg laying. I live in central North Carolina and we have four distinct seasons -- hot summers and moderate winters. Do you have any suggestions as to what breed that I should purchase for my purpose?

For egg laying in a warmer climate leghorns are the best. You can also get sex links. They go by many names, and lay well for a season or two.

Thanks for the prompt reply. So leghorns and sex links are the name of breeds?
There various are colors of leghorn. The whites lay the best I believe. Sex link is a type. They go under many names depending on the hatchery. Black stars, red stars, comets, cinnamon queens to name a few I know of.

Whitings are a new breed that are bred with leghorns, they lay either blue or greenish eggs. (Advertised to lay 300 eggs per year. About the same as leghorns!) There are lots of good laying hens out there! Leghorns are the absolute best though! (White store bought eggs are most likely from a leghorn!) Good luck finding the perfect breed!

Whitings are a new breed that are bred with leghorns, they lay either blue or greenish eggs. (Advertised to lay 300 eggs per year. About the same as leghorns!) There are lots of good laying hens out there! Leghorns are the absolute best though! (White store bought eggs are most likely from a leghorn!) Good luck finding the perfect breed!
Thanks for your prompt reply and information. Do white leghorns lay white eggs?

I am new to raising chickens and today I completed the finishing touches on my chicken coop and run. I am anticipating ordering my first chickens in the next few weeks but I am clueless as to what breed to purchase. For my initial chickens, I want them for egg laying. I live in central North Carolina and we have four distinct seasons -- hot summers and moderate winters. Do you have any suggestions as to what breed that I should purchase for my purpose?
Leghorns are good, they lay lots of white eggs. Sex-Links are also pretty good, but usually succumb to reproductive issues after 2 years. There are also breeds that will lay a few less eggs but will stay healthy and lay for years. Here are some:
Orpington. Very docile, lays lots of large brown eggs. Cold-hardy, and moderately heat-tolerant.
Australorp. Also very docile, lay lots of large brown eggs. An Australorp hen holds the world record for most eggs laid in a year, but most hens won't be too close to the amount that hen laid. Cold hardy, and more heat-tolerant than Orps.
Rock. Docile, lays lots of light pinkish tan eggs, cold-hardy and heat-tolerant.
Dorking. Lays lots of big white eggs, docile, and cold-tolerant. Somewhat heat tolerant. Comes in rose and single comb varieties.
Easter Egger. A fun breed, lays (usually) lots of green, white, blue, or pinkish tan eggs. Comes in many, many different colors. It is a mix; no two are alike. Hardiness and tolerance depends on the cross of breeds, but usually moderately tolerant of both. Warning: Any chick sold as
"Ameraucana" "Araucana" or "Americana" from someone other than a reputable breeder is most likely an Easter Egger.
Sussex. A docile breed, very heat and cold tolerant in my opinion. Lays lots of brown eggs, and comes in many colors.
Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom