What breed for in town?

I see this is an old post, but I'm facing the same issue. Really, though, if you have no roosters are hens really louder than a dog barking most of the time?

I actually live in a neighborhood where I am not supposed to have chickens. I have one welsummer girl (just under 3 months), and two buff orpington girls, 4 and 3 months. They are literally no louder than birds coming to a bird feeder. I did ask my neighbors before I got them but neither had an issue. We recently sold our house and the chickens were so quiet that the home inspector didn't even see them until I pointed them out. I have a small coop but it IS a chicken coop. They get excited when I get home in the afternoons and let them out for a few hours, but it's almost a purring sound. We do have a privacy fence so they are not in anyone's direct line of sight really.

Last edited:
I would absolutely suggest Yokohama. I had a few hens and one rooster before. They layed like a B2 Bomber in the winter and were very quiet. I got very few complaints. They also come in beautiful patterns and are there to broody if you need it.

Back
Top Bottom