What breed for in town?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by openheartnurse, Jan 13, 2012.

1. openheartnurse

openheartnurse Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2012
    I live in a smaller town (pop.16000), and I was looking to start raising about 4-6 egg laying chickens. Any suggestions for breed? Preferrably large brown egg layer, good temperment/quiet (neighbors)? I am completely new at this, so any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Will

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I found Welsummers to be a quiet breed, suitable for town. I live IN town and have three now.

Australorps, Orpingtons are also good!

3. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    My marans are surprisingly quiet, my naked necks never give anyone a moments peace, but I really like their temperment. My noisiest bird ever was a litle buff leghorn.

4. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

Barnevelder, Huastec, Yokohama and Black Sumatrans are all surprisingly quiet. Barnevelder produce large russet brown eggs, Huastec produce medium sized cream pink eggs, Yokohama produce mineral tinted ivory eggs and Black Sumatrans produce white eggs.

5. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I raised Welsummers for a while and mine "cackled" while egg laying. I had 13 hens and 2 Roos so it was a little noisy every morning until 11 or so. Besides that they are a great layers! Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks are fairly quiet and lay well, RSL (Red Sex Links) are Great layers. They are a hybrid and they are the best layers that I have ever had. Almost every day get an egg from every hen. I will get on a given day 46-48 eggs some times more from 50 hens. They lay great year around also!

Nate

6. bobertyork

bobertyork Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Cochins are a quiet breed from my experience.

1 person likes this.
  7. openheartnurse

openheartnurse Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2012
    Great! Thank you for the info!

8. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    I LOVE my Golden Comets for their amazing, big, shiny, dark brown eggs--and they lay faithfully almost every day. BUT...they are noisy when they come up to the pen to greet me. I personally love it--it's not obnoxiously loud--just friendly, but I'm not sure how "quiet" they would have to be to live in a town. They are fine for me in the 'burbs where people have 1-2 acres each.

-Sarah

1 person likes this.
  9. Cochins[​IMG]

10. ADVaughn

ADVaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2016
    I see this is an old post, but I'm facing the same issue. Really, though, if you have no roosters are hens really louder than a dog barking most of the time?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by