What breed for me?

bastage

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
So for starters Hi
ya.gif
:ya

So I want to start a small backyard flock of 5 or so birds for the main purpose of eggs, with a secondary purpose of them eating bugs (mosquitoes specifically as I am not into chemicals, but we have annual outbreaks of west nile when the mosquitoes get bad). I Do live in a subdivision so I don't want anything too loud (no worries with the HOA though as thats already been addressed). We plan to have a coop similar to the ConvertiCoop (http://catawbacoops.com/) since its fairly easy on materials. The majority of the time though the plan is to let the chickens have the run of the back yard (will keep there wings clipped of course). I also have a 4 year old daughter who plays in that yard & a beagle (he does fine with my dads chickens after they hold still long enough for him to get all his smelling done). So I want something that will be pretty ok with the mixed action going on. Predator wise the only thing hat might be a problem is we have a fairly large hawk presence around here (no large hawks though so I doubt anything larger then a bantam will have any issues).

I am in the Boise ID area so winters can be a good bit chilly (I live south of boise & the coldest I remember it getting last year was about -18 with the wind chill for a couple mornings, but mostly above 0).

I plan on getting the birds locally & we have one hatchery locally that has been recommended (http://www.dunlaphatchery.net/) so that also narrows down my selection since I am planning to avoid having chicks (we have a fat cat that just might cause problems although she is typically scared of anything that moves) and dunlap does sell mature (several months old) birds as well.

From there list I Believe there Golden Sex Link is a Red Star? Which seems like it would be the ideal bird other then I am not sure about the noise & how well they would do with my kid. The Orpingtons would come a close second, but there egg production is a little behind & Since there a bit bigger I don't want them to be too crowded in the coop.

If I do have to start from chicks from the research I have done Dominiques seem to be the best fit, but again I would rather not. Plus the Red Star pictures I have seen are Very pretty birds & I don't really like the black & white ones (like the dominique or barred rock).

But in the end I know basically nothing at this point so I have come seeking others much more knowledgeable advice.

Oh, decisions, decisions! I remember that feeling. Only a year ago I was wondering the same thing.

I highly recommend Delawares. They are so sweet, almost like puppies following you around. Great layers, too. As a bonus, you could help increase their population, as they are on the endangered list. However, I would not recommend them from a hatchery. Simply because there are hatchery strains that are not as sweet and docile as the breeder stock is. They continue to be the favorite of all my family ... husband, kids, grandkids. We all love them. I have several breeds, but none are as sweet as my Delawares.

Good luck in your decision! And, welcome to BYC!

Delewares made it to my very short list, but were ultimately eliminated for 2 reasons. 1st I don't know if I can get them grown & 2nd they area larger bird & Since the coop doesn't appear that its going to be super expansive I figured the little smaller birds would be a little more comfortable.

call your local extension office, they might be able to tell you somebody that raises birds locally, much cheaper than buying started birds from a hatchery. depending on the breed you may not need to clip wings. as a general rule the mediteranian class birds are flighty and asiatics are calm. continentals are pretty calm too. avoid birds with big combs they frostbite. wynadottes or deliwares would be good also orpingtons.

Maybe silkies, japanese bantams (we have some and have some chicks for sale and the japanese are our favorites because they are so friendly) or a leghorn bantam i dont think you will have a problem with the hawks if there is a dog in the backyard.

ok what is "my local extension office". And the started birds are less then 10 bucks a pop so pardon my doubt, but how is it likely to find anyone to do it any cheaper?

Delaware's do seem like an ideal breed, except that they are a little larger if I am not mistaken & The coop portion of the coop is fairly small in head room. So thats why I was steering towards a smaller bird. But as for Bantams, Not gonna happen. Being as that our prime reasoning is for the eggs even if we did have enough of the smaller ones to make up for the size the time consumed breaking & shelling the extra eggs would be ridiculous. & That is per my wife, & Since she does the cooking I will take her judgement in that to be gospel.

How are the Red Star's (golden sex links) in comparison as far as manors go?

the extension office runs the 4-H, less than $10 is a good price for started pullets, here if I bought started pullets from a hatchery I would have to have them shipped which greatly increases the cost. as far a personality the red stars are hybrids bred for production, not personality. It is hard to say what their temperaments will be like, If you spend a lot of time with them you might be able to tame them down.

hmm I Can see your point with them not being tame. My dad has several birds from there & To get them back into there coop at night or when he leaves (he is way out in the woods & to have a coyote cross his yard would not be that unusual) he has to chase them to catch them. Although it would be nice not to.

Quote:
The cure for this problem is to leave the birds closed up in their coop for several days -- at least a week. That way they get to know where they are supposed to sleep at night. Then you should be able to let them loose -- start with just a few minutes loose right before bedtime (their bedtime!), and gradually increase it.

Kathleen

Is Rustyswoman from Idaho? She has Delawares and may have some for sale? I have no idea, but I highly recommend the Delawares also- a very friendly, fun bird that would be good with your kids, and mine are not tremendously noisy.

Back
Top Bottom