what breed has the biggest comb and wattles

Quote:
My leghorns love attention and love getting held and petted. Most people say they are really flighty and unfriendly. Kernal my leggy has free roam of the house.

My leghorns scream and fight when I pick them up, even off the roost. Usually people say this is how they are. I'd say Kernal is definitely the exception.

My old Rhode Island Red rooster Ruu has a very large comb and waddles. He is very colorful and is as sweet as he is brave.
1737_img_0269.jpg

As a general rule, the Mediterraneans (Leghorns, Minorcas, Anconas, Catalanas, etc.) have the largest combs. Large combs cool chickens down (useful when they're on the mediterranean), but on the down side, large combs are extremely susceptible to frostbite.

my leghorn hen will not let me go next to her! I hand feed my flock some treats and have to throw her a couple or she wont get anything. She has always been that way but she does give me an egg a day thats for sure!

Quote:
My leghorns love attention and love getting held and petted. Most people say they are really flighty and unfriendly. Kernal my leggy has free roam of the house.

This is how my leghorns are. When I've got treats for them to pick out of my hand, they're the first ones in line. When I sit on the ground in the middle of them, they're on my lap, pecking at my clothes and hair, untying my shoelaces.... they're some of my most friendly, curious birds.

ETA: Mine are pearl whites from McMurray... I've heard quite a few people say the pearls are more friendly than some other strains of Leghorns.

And my leghorn hens have glorious floppy combs. I love them!

Last edited:
Comb size to body mass, the Mediterranean breeds take the cake. Leghorns being at the top of that list!

One of my mean boys somewhere between 4-5 months old. The girls were not yet laying.

When I had them, they were the first at my feet and I swear were shadows. Make one instant move towards them though they were the first to fly away and freak out. Silly things. Constantly wired on too much caffeine.

I absolutely love the big wattles and comb. I have to get me a few of them. Thanks for sharing the pics Attack Chicken, Sugar Sand Farm, and rodriguezpoultry. They are all gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom