What breed is best for me?

Do the Brahma do well in high humidity and heat though?
They sure have a lot of feathering and are pretty birds. Just not sure about the heat.
For snow areas feather footed breeds I don't recommend. They are also not great in mud seasons. We got both here in VT. I know you've got more powder snow in CO so clumped snow and ice may not be an issue for you.

I have a real mixed bag of chickens.
Barred rock- she is by far the most out going and follows me around. She's quite pushy with the others. Great egg layer.
Polish- a bit neurotic and silly, but sweet. She can be a bit flighty but great to watch and have around.
Naked Neck Turken- very flighty and gets scared easily.
Serama - my favorites. Yes they are tiny and can't quite use them for eggs (just tiny eggs!) but they are great. They are sweet, excellent hunters and have great personalities.

Hi I live in Jacksonville FL also and I've been looking into breeds for about a year. I heard all the permits were taken soon after they announced they were giving them so i was going to go a different route. I guess I should try for a permit first ;)
Anyway, the breeds I have read/talked to breeders about that seem best would be silkies. They look funny but that's why I love them. They are more for pets than eggs since their eggs seem pretty small. I also heard EE's or Ameracauna's and Orpingtons. Now I'm not sure I spelled any right but I try.
I talked to a breeder in Mandarin that said any breed can be docile if you get it young enough and spend enough time with them. I'm going after Christmas to see his flock (he has several different types) and we will be getting a couple soon after the holidays.

I have had barred rock, but did not have a good experience. She picked on the Black Australorps relentlessly. Australorps I love. They are not over-friendly, but not flighty either. They are usually fairly low on the pecking order. Since they were developed in Australia they are good in hot conditions like where you live. Whatever breed you choose, get one with large upright combs (like Australorp). Those are the ones that are more heat resistant as the comb is one way they let off heat from their bodies. They lay nice sized brown eggs and the first winter I had them they laid pretty much all throughout winter with no additional light. Good luck!

If you are looking for pure egg production, I have found that Black Sex-links are a beast when it comes to eggs. Even when my hens were suffering through Poultry Pox, which robbed most of my normal hens production while sick, the black sex links were cranking out eggs; albeit at a decrease level.

Although they have smaller combs, I am partial to Dominiques and EE. Doms lay a smaller egg, but IMO, they are the friendliest birds you'll ever run across. They also make nice broodies. And I just love their little rose combs and their extra soft feathers (cuckoo pattern) EE have quirky personalities. They have a bit of a rep for being flighty, but I don't find them as flighty as the Mediterranean breeds. They mix well with Doms, personality wise. And those green and blue eggs are awesome. I've found them to be good layers of good sized eggs.

The friendliest breed I think are the buff orphingtons. One of mine climbs in my son's lap for snuggles. Grow to nice fat golden yellow hens. They follow me everywhere. The EE's have beautiful blue/green eggs that have extra hard shells. One jumps on my shoulder every day and talks to me. a bit skittish but not as aggressive. I think if you get any breed as a chick and allow kids and yourself to handle often, then they will be friendly.

Back
Top Bottom