What Breed Is Jerry?

americanchicks

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Buckley, Wa
Hi all!
So a few weeks ago I picked up some broilers. In the bin I saw one little chick that was definitely not a Cornish Cross. Half the size of the others so I snatched it up. I just figured that it would end up being a leghorn, that happed to me before when I got CX.

Two things I discovered..... one the chick is a dude and two, he's not a leghorn. He started turning cream and he has some dark red feathers coming in on the shoulders. Any Idea on the breed? I was thinking maybe a Red Sexlink roo?
DSC_0288.JPG
DSC_0286.JPG
DSC_0291.JPG

Hi all!
So a few weeks ago I picked up some broilers. In the bin I saw one little chick that was definitely not a Cornish Cross. Half the size of the others so I snatched it up. I just figured that it would end up being a leghorn, that happed to me before when I got CX.

Two things I discovered..... one the chick is a dude and two, he's not a leghorn. He started turning cream and he has some dark red feathers coming in on the shoulders. Any Idea on the breed? I was thinking maybe a Red Sexlink roo?View attachment 1315628 View attachment 1315629 View attachment 1315630 .
I would have to agree.

amberlinks are another name for a red sex link. Each hatchery has their own name and formula for them.

Hence my quotes. I wrote "amberlink pullet." The ones that I got that the hatchery was calling amberlinks were all white chicks, and the cockerel only began developing a little bit of brown like the OP's bird as it got older. The pullets remained white. They said they were feather sexed. I have seen other places call red sex links "amberlinks." I always have the inclination to put "amberlink" in quotes because who knows what kind of bird is being sold under that name.

Back
Top Bottom