What breed is Lewis? Is he a Gander??

I agree with Olive Hill, both my males and females have them.
smile.png

To those who've had Embdens: I purchased 10 pb birds from a well-known poultry supplier. As these geese feathered out there were a LOT of black feathers and one developed a considerably pink bill. I was told to wait until after 17 weeks to take new pictures and resubmit. So, now at 17 weeks I've got a set of birds that are more white with the occasional black/grey or buff feather in the wing or neck and about half with grey/buff feathers just in front of the tail (under folded wings). However, I have one goose that looks similar to the one pictured here, but much darker feathers and more abundant on the wings. This is the one that has a fairly pink bill and this is the one that I resent pics of. Plus this individual has about 3 spots of black feathers on the head. Now I'm being told this is just the way Embdens are, but they'll send me replacements next spring if I'm not happy.
Can anyone tell me if this is just a really bad quality line or whether I'm right that there was a little crossbreeding going on? I'm very frustrated- they cost a lot of money and I have a lot of investment in time and feed. I wanted a nice pure white flock to roam the yard.
I appreciate anyone's help. I'm not sure how to post a pic yet.

Sure looks like a male Pilgrim to me. Are his back feathers, under his wings dark like the edges of his wings and does he have blue eyes? If so I'll bet money he’s Pilgrim.

These are younger pictures of ours. Now that they are older both have developed large under lobes.

LeoTaffy.jpg

06-25-10002.jpg

Last edited:
He looks just like those two! He does have Blue eyes & the dark feathers underneath... So he is most likely a Pilgrim gander then..ahh, that makes me happy
wee.gif
I know the lobes are normal in both sexes, and usually grow/appear with age or maturity, the lady had only had him a short time but said he was around 3yrs old? I do not know how she acquired him except that she saved him from a dinner table.

I think I recall reading online that Pilgrims are very laid back breed, so that would explain his super sweet personality and why i can pet & pick him up with really no trouble.. he has started trying to get away from me since him & Izzy started to really bond though, but I am sure that's just normal.

I wonder how the babies will look?
love.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes Pilgrims tend to be laid-back. While ours don’t care to be picked up they can be. They follow us everywhere, eat out of our hands and have even started playing with my 5 almost 6 year old grandson. But boy do they raise cane when they see us first thing in the morning. It’s like that have seen us for a week and sounds like someone is trying to kill them. Only lasts for a minute but I’m sure all the neighbors know we have geese.
lol.png

I would think the offspring would tend to look like either of the parents, either all white or white with some gray. And bumps or not! No expert here! But I think they would be pretty.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom