What breed is my 1.5 month old hen?

tara3436

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2015
There are two in the photo, but we know the brown girl is a golden sex link. Can't recall what the breed of the black speckled girl is! Any ideas? Both are 1.5 months old in photo.

Thanks

Tara

Thanks! I was checking some pics I have of her and the legs look more pink to me.. they're the same as the golden sex links legs. So mayve the Cuckoo maran. I was confident the feed store said her breed started with the letter B though. I will try and get a clear pic in the daytime tomorrow that includes her legs.

Hello again. I just saw your birds on the New Members' thread. X2 on Popsickle. As I stated on the other thread, Golden Sex Link is one of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Not only can the offspring be sexed by color from hatching, but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Other labels (besides Golden Sex Link) under which Red Sex Links are marketed include Gold Star, Red Star, Brown Sex Link, Cinnamon Queen, Bovans Brown, Golden Buff, Golden Comet, Hubbard Golden Comet, Isa Brown, Shaver Brown, Babcock Brown, Warrens, HyLine Brown, Gold Lines, Lohmans, Lohmans Brown, Brown Shaver, Red Shaver, Bovans Goldline, etc.

Interesting! So is there a true Golden sex link breed or are all those with this monikar the hybrid? Hoping for the egg laying machine :)

Interesting! So is there a true Golden sex link breed or are all those with this monikar the hybrid? Hoping for the egg laying machine :)

No, Golden Sex Link is not a breed. It is just one of many labels used by some hatcheries for their Red Sex Links, which are all hybrids produced by crossing a red gene rooster (either a Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, or Production Red) with a silver gene hen (Rhode Island White, White Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Delaware, or Light Sussex). The specific Red Sex Link cross typically marketed under the name Golden Sex Link is a Rhode Island Red rooster X Rhode Island White hen.

Your sex link looks to have yellow legs. If the barred birds' legs are the same color, it's a barred Rock.

You could call the feed store and ask what breeds they had. They usually keep records.

If the black and white bird has yellow legs, she's a Barred Rock. Otherwise, she's probably a Cuckoo Marans.

I got some better pics of the legs - the black speckly girl does seem to have some yellow on the legs, and also some black/grey.

Barred rock?

Back
Top Bottom