What breed is my baby!?

Ashleyboz

Songster
Oct 27, 2023
We have one rooster and he is a Black Mottled Cochin. We have done a lot of breeding with him and our blue and white Cochins but this last few hatches he was in with our Rhode Island Reds, Pearl Greys, Barred Rocks, and Black Austrolorps. I have done some researching and need to do more but I can’t seem to find how this wing pattern is on a lot of these chicks. The birds with this pattern all have red above their eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_1564.jpeg
    IMG_1564.jpeg
    454.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1665.jpeg
    IMG_1665.jpeg
    648.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1689.jpeg
    IMG_1689.jpeg
    435.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1687.jpeg
    IMG_1687.jpeg
    415.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1679.jpeg
    IMG_1679.jpeg
    445.4 KB · Views: 11
We have one rooster and he is a Black Mottled Cochin. We have done a lot of breeding with him and our blue and white Cochins but this last few hatches he was in with our Rhode Island Reds, Pearl Greys, Barred Rocks, and Black Austrolorps. I have done some researching and need to do more but I can’t seem to find how this wing pattern is on a lot of these chicks. The birds with this pattern all have red above their eyes.
I don't know what Pearl Greys look like.

With that rooster, Black Australorps should produce just black chicks. Barred Rocks should produce black daughters and barred sons.

So I think those chicks probably have Rhode Island Red mothers. (Or possibly Pearl Greys, since I don't know enough about them to say.)

Mixing different colors and patterns can cause some unexpected colors and patterns in the chicks, because of the way the different genes interact.

I don't know what Pearl Greys look like.

With that rooster, Black Australorps should produce just black chicks. Barred Rocks should produce black daughters and barred sons.

So I think those chicks probably have Rhode Island Red mothers. (Or possibly Pearl Greys, since I don't know enough about them to say.)

Mixing different colors and patterns can cause some unexpected colors and patterns in the chicks, because of the way the different genes interact.
We are thinking the same with the Rhode Island Reds. The Smokey Pearls are a Hoover Hatchery thing so they don’t tell you the breed and can only speculate what it is. I love seeing what colors come with each hatch but I think I will stick with a breeding program that we know what each chick is! I’m too impatient for this 😂 The patterns really have me scratching my head though.

Back
Top Bottom