What breed is my bantam hen? Having second guesses...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pineapple416, Jan 14, 2017.

1. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    My blue bantam hen, named Button, is 11 months old, and I am wondering why her comb small and undeveloped, and it has always been this way. It almost looks like a pea comb to me. I thought she was a Belgian bearded d'anvers, but this breed appears to have large, noticeable rose combs. I am pretty sure she laid eggs last spring. Do you think she just needs more time to develope or is she a different breed? Could this also be because of the cold weather?
    Thanks everybody!

Here's some pictures of her...

[​IMG]
    Here she is as a chick

[​IMG]
    Button as an pullet

[​IMG]
    A close up of her comb

2. Goosegrrl

Goosegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2015
    Central FL
    Bantam Blue Ameraucana(or easter egger) is my guess.
    What color is her egg... blue/green or pinkish?

3. pineapple416

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    That's a smart guess, I hadn't thought about that yet! I thought she layer light brown eggs, but they could have been another hens eggs.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She looks like an Easter egger to me, but not particularly bantam. How big is she? A bantam hen would be under 2lbs.

Her comb does look under developed, not sure why. You might try confining her to see if she's laying.

5. pineapple416

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    She is definitely a bantam, two pounds or less. None of our hens our laying, but once the weather warms up I might try that. Thank you both for the help.

6. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was thinking Easter Egger, too, but then I saw slate legs? [​IMG] Sure looks like an Ameraucana to me, but I could very well be wrong. [​IMG]

~Alex

7. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    I'd say an Easter Egger or an Ameraucana... By the way she's VERY beautiful![​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think she is a lovely EE hen. I can't tell what color her legs are from the picture, even when I enlarged it. Old eyes aren't as sharp despite cataract surgery. Would you know if her
    comb was ever injured or she suffered an attack? It looks like that to me rather than being undeveloped.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Probably an Easter Egger bantam, though I suppose she could be a purebred Blue Ameraucana. Beautiful bird!

10. pineapple416

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    Thanks everyone! I don't think that she has been attacked by anything, I'm sure I would have noticed. She has slate colored legs. I might try to get some better pictures of her today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by