What breed is my bantam hen? Having second guesses...

pineapple416

Songster
5 Years
Aug 9, 2014
Western Washington
My blue bantam hen, named Button, is 11 months old, and I am wondering why her comb small and undeveloped, and it has always been this way. It almost looks like a pea comb to me. I thought she was a Belgian bearded d'anvers, but this breed appears to have large, noticeable rose combs. I am pretty sure she laid eggs last spring. Do you think she just needs more time to develope or is she a different breed? Could this also be because of the cold weather?
Thanks everybody!

Here's some pictures of her...

Here she is as a chick

Button as an pullet

A close up of her comb

She looks like an Easter egger to me, but not particularly bantam. How big is she? A bantam hen would be under 2lbs.

Her comb does look under developed, not sure why. You might try confining her to see if she's laying.

I think she is a lovely EE hen. I can't tell what color her legs are from the picture, even when I enlarged it. Old eyes aren't as sharp despite cataract surgery. Would you know if her
comb was ever injured or she suffered an attack? It looks like that to me rather than being undeveloped.

Thanks everyone! I don't think that she has been attacked by anything, I'm sure I would have noticed. She has slate colored legs. I might try to get some better pictures of her today.

Back
Top Bottom