What breed is my bantam rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Adriennesmom, May 30, 2012.

1. Adriennesmom

Adriennesmom Chirping

Dec 14, 2011
    Monterey, California
    Hello Everyone! I adopted my pet rooster "Rocky" at the animal shelter last year. He is an adorable boy[​IMG] I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of the breed of rooster he might be? Thanks![​IMG][​IMG]

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Crowing

Jan 14, 2008
    Judging from what appears to be a partial crest I assume he's a mutt.

3. Adriennesmom

Adriennesmom Chirping

Dec 14, 2011
    Monterey, California
    Thank you for the information! This is very interesting. Rocky is my first rooster. I did not realize that he had a partial crest. I would love to know what his breeding mix might be. He is an incredibly sweet and gentle rooster. His hens adore him. [​IMG]

4. CountryKitty

CountryKitty In the Brooder

May 3, 2012
    That very erect tail reminds me of pictures of Japanese bantams. As for a partial crest, I had a lovely fellow that had the same feature--he also had an extra rear toe on each foot--both the extra toes and crests are typical for silkies, along with feathers down the legs, which he also had.

I agree that your lovely lad is likely that most beloved of creatures--the great american mutt. Hope he gives you as much pleasure as my 'Hot Stuff' gave me!

5. Adriennesmom

Adriennesmom Chirping

Dec 14, 2011
    Monterey, California
    Thank you CountryKitty for the great information! I have seen pictures of Japanese bantams and agree that his tail is similar. It is really interesting tht you mentioned Silkie roosters. Rocky has some light feathering on his feet. I will have to take a look at his toes. He has very long spurs on the back. Luckily, he has never used them.[​IMG] He is an absolute sweetheart! I can't imagine my flock without the little guy. Let's give a cheer for the "Great American Mutt"! [​IMG] lol Glad you were able to enjoy your own special guy. "Hot Stuff" is an adorable name. Love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: