What breed is my chicken?!

New Chick On The Block

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2021
Hi - I recently acquired this beautiful chicken - found wandering through the carpark at the school I work at! Could anyone tell me what breed she is - Am I also right in thinking it’s a she? Also approximate age? My son and I have fallen in love with her - she’s very friendly and very vocal!

0661AA75-9653-48D3-BB69-2023051635A4.jpeg
BB6BE350-A5F1-4E24-99AD-D2FBEF10853F.jpeg
66C7D722-30B5-413F-8E15-43F023C43BF0.jpeg

Thanks everyone for your help. I don’t know anything of her history and definitely no farms nearby. I’ll go with Cochin mix for now!

Next thing is whether or not to introduce some new chicks to her? How should I go about doing that? I know of a local silkie chicken breeder - would that be a good breed to mix with her?

I know of a local silkie chicken breeder - would that be a good breed to mix with her?
Silkies are generally calm and okay to mix with other bantams. They are also (in my experience) very low on the pecking order, so I wouldn't be surprised if the cochin would bully them a little when they first join. As long as they are the same size as the cochin mix, they should all be fine.
Good luck ❤️ And make sure to get pics of the silkies if/when you get them!

Thanks everyone for your help. I don’t know anything of her history and definitely no farms nearby. I’ll go with Cochin mix for now!

Next thing is whether or not to introduce some new chicks to her? How should I go about doing that? I know of a local silkie chicken breeder - would that be a good breed to mix with her?
I was wondering because it has silky feet...

Back
Top Bottom