What breed is my chicken?

veganpilot

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
4 months ago, I went to Swan Valley (Comp's Poultry) and brought a 7 week old chicken which the breeder was claiming to be a Rhode Island White. However, I have my doubts!
What breed is really my chicken? By the way, my chicken's called Zelda and she's really friendly! She follows me around and when I clap my hands, she wants to me in an instant. Also, she interacts with me through the window once she found out we were through there
wink.png

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

Thanks for helping me out!

Last edited:
Very pretty! I'm sure she was right.

Leghorns are almost always very skittish and won't go near people. I doubt she's a leghorn. Maybe a white Sussex? Although, those are very rare I guess. Whatever she is, she is beautiful.

She looks like a Leghorn or a Leghorn cross.
Defiantly not a Rhode Island White.
A Rhode Island White would be much larger, have Red Earlobes, and most importantly they have a Rose Comb.

I know that most hatcheries clam they have R.I. Whites and they have Single Combs but they are little more than a cross.

Chris

Last edited:
my packing pea
92165_p1010096.jpg
nuts look just like that, they come to me just fine because all they want to do is eat!!! they are not fond of being picked up

Looks like a leghorn cross. If the seller said Rhode Island White then she's probably just that, RIR over leghorn or vise versa. The tail set and white ears say leghorn but the red leakage screams cross.

Here's one of my leghorns of last year:

69907_100_3175.jpg

Yup, thank you for your help guys!
lol.png
Btw, tball, your little leghorn is very gorgeous and beautiful
smile.png
! Wish my chicken wouldn't grow old
sad.png
Egghead_junior, what a beautiful chicken! She has a very large upright crest which is uncommon in most leghorns, because I thought some have folded ones.
I'd doubt she'd be a leghorn though, I thought leghorns were nervous and flighty, like those roosters I bought by accident last time, but then again, I'd agree with the idea of cross-breed.
Yep, I've got her eggs like from last week. They weren't white though. I'll post the pictures of her first pullet eggs. There are roughly about 5-6cm. When will they start to grow bigger?

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

***I've also heard a myth from chicken breeders. They've said that some chicken breeders would only sell baby roosters to customers and separate the girls from the rest, claiming it is hard to distinguish the girls + boys from the 'unsexed'. According to me, I think this is true because last time I've went to the Clucky Hen Hatchery in Kenwick, I bought 3 chicks-which all turned out to be roosters! Ok, so I've returned them back to the hatchery and bought another 5, and all of them turned out to be roosters! Is this guy really a scammer or is it just bad luck? Also, the farmer turned out to have 2 wives! Lucky man
lol.png

Also, why do sometimes leghorn chickens, especially, spread their tails into a beautiful fan-like appearance but other times close them? Is it something to do with a relaxing or tense state or perhaps, something else?

Back
Top Bottom