What breed is my duck

Lowri12

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Wales, UK
I was wondering if someone could help me. I was sold a duck just around 3 months ago and was told it was a Silver Appleyard and definitely female. It is around 13 weeks old now and does not quack but makes the raspy drake sound so it's definitely a drake. It also doesn't look like a Silver Appleyard to me, I'm thinking maybe it's a saxony? Could someone please help me out and suggest what breed he is?

I can say almost with certainty that isn't a Silver Appleyard, at least not a purebred. I would also say with pretty strong certainty that it's a Buff, except for one thing--Buffs don't have a black-tipped bill, or at least they shouldn't if they're purebreds. I'm wondering if it's a mix.

Can you possibly get a full-front and full-side pic in bright sunlight so we can get a better look?

I can say almost with certainty that isn't a Silver Appleyard, at least not a purebred. I would also say with pretty strong certainty that it's a Buff, except for one thing--Buffs don't have a black-tipped bill, or at least they shouldn't if they're purebreds. I'm wondering if it's a mix.

Can you possibly get a full-front and full-side pic in bright sunlight so we can get a better look?
Is this photo any better?
IMG

I'm going to say definitely a Buff drake, but I'm curious to hear if others have a different opinion. Your pic is significantly different from Amiga's, but that's not unusual. Buffs don't breed true when it comes to color because they have a blue dilution gene that can cause three color variations. Two of our hens are the darker color and one is very light. We also had a drake that looked very similar to Amiga's, but we had to rehome him because he was vicious and terrorizing the rest of our flock.

If you get more ducks and want certain breeds or genders, you should probably stay away from whoever sold you this one. Sexing ducklings at the age you bought this one isn't hard, so he should have known it wasn't female. Beyond that, it sounds like he either doesn't even know what breeds he has, or he was trying to pull the wool over your eyes. I'd never buy a duck without being sure of gender because it would be too easy to end up with too high a ratio of drakes to hens, and that's just asking for trouble.

I'm including a pic of our Buffs, all hens, but the coloring is similar on hens and drakes aside from the neck and head. The Buffs are the ones in the very front, three hens and the ducklings.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply, I definitely won't be buying from him again, thank you very much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom