What breed is my favorite little peanut?

mom2chicksandpups

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Southeast Alabama
This is peanut. She(?)
fl.gif
is the sweetest of any chick that I've ever handled. I am keeping this one for sure, no matter what the breed or sex is. I love this chick!!!!
love.gif

Our Turken chicks kept picking on this one, holding it down and pecking it together as a group. I guess because it was the misfit in that brooder. All of this poor guys' siblings died, so I had it with the mean Turkens. I moved it in with some new chicks that were born Monday and thought it would peck at them, but Peanut fits right in with the new babies and is happy as can be now.
love.gif
Did I mention that I love this little chick?
love.gif

Do you guys agree that it's an Araucana? The lady who I bought it from said she "thought" it was. It does appear to have the little feather tufts on its face that I've read about. You can see them better in the pic where she's laying down in my hand. She's about 2 weeks old now, we think.

28482_013.jpg

28482_012.jpg

Totally a baby EE (that's a mutt Ameraucana mix)--they are sweethearts. They also turn out in totally different colours! THe ittle baby I have now is somewhere around 5 weeks, and when I first got her she looked like that. Now she's aready much lighter and getting tons of orange feathers all over her body!
She'll look like a baby hawk in a couple of weeks

Is an Easter Egger the same thing as an Americana or is there a difference? Is it that the EE is mixed with something else? I don't care because I love this sweet little chick. I was just wondering.

How can you tell the difference between these and Araucanas?

An Ameraucana (note spelling) is a recognized breed that only comes in about 8 standard colors with slate legs and reddish bay eyes. An Easter Egger is a mixed breed that has no real standard so they can have any color plumage and legs, etc. THey can also lay any color egg, including brown. Ameraucanas lay eggs in the blue family. Araucanas are very different than Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers. This site will explain:
http://creefarm.fateback.com/ameraucana.html

Below is one of my blue Ameraucanas:
DCP_1730.jpg

This is a true Araucana from www.Feathersite.com

ArauWhiteFemale.JPEG

I still love this little guy/girl no matter what type it is. It has the sweetest personality of all my chicks. I was just curious about what it was. Mutt or not, I wouldn't mind finding a few more of these if they are as sweet as Peanut (named by my young daughter.)

easter eggers may be "mutts" in theory, but they are loved by many (and hated by a few). I LOVE mine. Definitely the sweetest of my chickens and I love all the different colors. They are great birds and you shouldn't be shy about getting more if you want them - they are hardy, intelligent, and lay colored eggs (green, blue, brown, pink, lavender, etc). Enjoy your little peanut!

love.gif
I agree! Even the first week, this was the sweetest chick already. She doesn't run from us when we try to pick her up like the other young ones. She will just lay down in my hand and sleep once I pick her up. Who would have known I'd fall in love with a chicken!
love.gif

(I am saying "she" with the hope that I'm right. This one is staying either way, though.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom