What breed is my favorite little peanut?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mom2chicksandpups, Apr 24, 2009.

1. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    This is peanut. She(?) [​IMG] is the sweetest of any chick that I've ever handled. I am keeping this one for sure, no matter what the breed or sex is. I love this chick!!!! [​IMG]

Our Turken chicks kept picking on this one, holding it down and pecking it together as a group. I guess because it was the misfit in that brooder. All of this poor guys' siblings died, so I had it with the mean Turkens. I moved it in with some new chicks that were born Monday and thought it would peck at them, but Peanut fits right in with the new babies and is happy as can be now. [​IMG] Did I mention that I love this little chick? [​IMG]

Do you guys agree that it's an Araucana? The lady who I bought it from said she "thought" it was. It does appear to have the little feather tufts on its face that I've read about. You can see them better in the pic where she's laying down in my hand. She's about 2 weeks old now, we think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Easter Egger. Too young to sex though [​IMG]

3. fowl weathered friend

fowl weathered friend Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Totally a baby EE (that's a mutt Ameraucana mix)--they are sweethearts. They also turn out in totally different colours! THe ittle baby I have now is somewhere around 5 weeks, and when I first got her she looked like that. Now she's aready much lighter and getting tons of orange feathers all over her body!
    She'll look like a baby hawk in a couple of weeks

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:ditto... cute baby! Mean ol' naked necks. Sorry that happened.

5. mom2chicksandpups

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Is an Easter Egger the same thing as an Americana or is there a difference? Is it that the EE is mixed with something else? I don't care because I love this sweet little chick. I was just wondering.

How can you tell the difference between these and Araucanas?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

An Ameraucana (note spelling) is a recognized breed that only comes in about 8 standard colors with slate legs and reddish bay eyes. An Easter Egger is a mixed breed that has no real standard so they can have any color plumage and legs, etc. THey can also lay any color egg, including brown. Ameraucanas lay eggs in the blue family. Araucanas are very different than Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers. This site will explain:
    http://creefarm.fateback.com/ameraucana.html

Below is one of my blue Ameraucanas:
    [​IMG]

This is a true Araucana from www.Feathersite.com

[​IMG]

7. mom2chicksandpups

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Thanks for the info! My husband is amazed at all the facts that I am learning from this site.

8. mom2chicksandpups

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    I still love this little guy/girl no matter what type it is. It has the sweetest personality of all my chicks. I was just curious about what it was. Mutt or not, I wouldn't mind finding a few more of these if they are as sweet as Peanut (named by my young daughter.)

9. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    easter eggers may be "mutts" in theory, but they are loved by many (and hated by a few). I LOVE mine. Definitely the sweetest of my chickens and I love all the different colors. They are great birds and you shouldn't be shy about getting more if you want them - they are hardy, intelligent, and lay colored eggs (green, blue, brown, pink, lavender, etc). Enjoy your little peanut!

10. mom2chicksandpups

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    [​IMG] I agree! Even the first week, this was the sweetest chick already. She doesn't run from us when we try to pick her up like the other young ones. She will just lay down in my hand and sleep once I pick her up. Who would have known I'd fall in love with a chicken! [​IMG]

(I am saying "she" with the hope that I'm right. This one is staying either way, though.)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by