What breed is my hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Roree-23, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Roree-23

Roree-23 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    So, I bought this hen about 7 years ago and she came with three orpingtons. We were told that she was an orpington also and we assumed she was but we sort of throught she was a little deformed. The woman who we got her from had loads of different breeds of chickens and I think the hen might be half orpington.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Personality wise she is not broody, she is quiet, very tame and friendly like our orpingtons.

Excuse the terrible condition of her feet, she came to us with her toes all pointing different ways. And I took the twine of just after I took the photos.

2. phy

phy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    She looks like she could be part (or all!) Americana/Araucana, due to the cheek and neck puffs of feathers. What color eggs does she lay? (Americanas/Araucanas can lay brown eggs too, not just green/blue)

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    She looks like an Easter Egger, and she's very beautiful by the way [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

My guess is either just an Easter Egger or a Easter Egger cross.

5. Roree-23

May 22, 2011
    She lays pale brown eggs.

6. SeasideSilkies

SeasideSilkies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Easter egger, or maybe even full americauna! very cute [​IMG]

7. Roree-23

May 22, 2011
    It seems very strange that people think she is cute, I love her to bits but I have always thought she was rather odd looking. Although I thought she was an oprington so she would be a strange orpington!

My favourite thing about her is if you go into the coop she will come and sit on your lap [​IMG]

8. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Beautiful girl, probably an EE. Also, the hen in the pictures with her, isn't a BO. Maybe some sort of production red.

9. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I would guess Easter Egger or Easter Egger cross. She sure has a funny shaped beard! [​IMG]

Is she a HUGE hen, or is the smaller red hen in the pictures some kind of bantam?

10. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:I agree with you - I think she is very funny-looking. However, she apparently makes up for it by being sweet and friendly, which IS cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by