What breed is my hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WildBillHicks, Aug 8, 2011.

1. WildBillHicks

WildBillHicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Durham, North Carolina
    I got this hen from a kid who wanted to get rid of some birds. He said she was Ameraucana. She has black streaks in her neck. She lays green eggs! Yes, her back is bare. He said it was from the rooster. I just hope her feathers come back soon. I am not so sure he took the best care of his birds. Some had bare backs like mine while others were really nice. Anyway, I think she's real pretty and will only look better when she fills out and gets her feathers back.

Is she Ameraucana or mixed?

[​IMG]

forgot I had a pic of the green eggs

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Definitely a mix. Probably an Easter Egger x Buff Orpington. [​IMG]

3. WildBillHicks

Jul 25, 2011
    Durham, North Carolina
    Ok, thanks. I didn't know what an EE was so I googled it and saw some EE roosters that looked a lot like the rooster she came from.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The bare back is from rooster lovin' and will grow back if left alone. She's a beautiful girl and lucky you with those green eggs. You may see those eggs get a little greener with better nutrition and hygiene than what she had.

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Yep, looks like an Easter Egger mix. Easter Egger is a mix, but she looks to have something else putting in it's 2 cents. Maybe Buff Orphington, like Cowgirl said. The roos will strip the feathers off of the back from overbreeding, but nip that in the bud, & the feathers will grow back. She's a very pretty girl!

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    She's an Easter Egger. At some point most people find out that most "Ameraucanas" out there are actually mutts called Easter Eggers. [​IMG]

7. WildBillHicks

Jul 25, 2011
    Durham, North Carolina
    Wow thanks guys/gals for the kind words. The rooster is at the place I got her so she's no longer being pecked at. I have watched all my birds (8 in total) and they don't peck to be mean so she will get her feathers back.

I feed her Nutrena layer crumble, something my step dad calls scratch (corn and wheat) and oyster shell. The eggs all have strong shells so I think they are getting enough nutrients. The pen they are in is all dirt (it's my step father's). I take grass cuttings up to them and they love it.

Here's a sample of where they live. We are all new to this but Larry is a real old country boy so I trust he knows what he is doing.

[​IMG]

8. westfallmadison

westfallmadison Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Circleville, Ohio
    yes for sure she is and EE and probally mixed with BO

9. Lindz

Lindz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by