what breed is my (now) 3 week old chick?

Becky Quinn

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 1, 2014

These are the pics of my "surprise" from McMurry. Two questions. What breed is this? Also is the cream now coming in on its shoulders an indication of roo? Oops three questions. I saw in a previous forum slow feathering is a male trait? Is there accuracy in this or is it a breed trait? Thanks in advance for helping this newbie! I have learned so much from this site! :)

You may be right. The comb is smooth still at this point. I hope not as that is the least "rare" breed in America today and they bragged about a free rare chicken LOL

I'm also thinking a possible Easter Egger. It's too young to tell gender, but most free chicks turn out to be males.

Thanks! Ya I was figuring since it was a "freebie" it would be a roo. It appears (from the groups of same breeds) I have a couple of roos in my egg laying grab bag. I know they will refund the difference in price but I have to face culling or find a home far sooner than I had hoped. I have 19 chickens. 2 are for sure roos (older) they get along fine now but the hens are still in the brooder or cage since we are finishing up our upcycled coop. On a mildly related topic....how many is two many roos? What if there is 4 roos to 15 hens?

Back
Top Bottom