What breed is my rescue horse?

Can anyone tell me what breed my horse is. She is about 14.1 8 years old.

Tell me a little more about her. What is her personality? How does she move? Is she light on her feet, smooth and easy gaited?

She definitely has some of the forest breeds (pony), Looks like she may be Welsh pony. There are several subtypes but she looks like the heavier type to me.

Talithahorse

I feel pretty silly having to post this - but I've always gotten quick and great responses about other things, so I am looking to the group to help me ID one of our rescue horses. We brought this girl home earlier this year with very little background info. She is 30 years old (!) and such a sweet, sweet girl. Any help in determining her breed is greatly appreciated! Thanks! [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]
my guess would be Morab.

Could have some mustang but is not full mustang (all mustangs from BLM have a tattoo). I would guess that she has some Welsh Cob in her. Definitely some forest breed. Her build is not strong on the Spanish bloodlines (which most mustangs originated from). She seems more pony type which could include your Welsh, Chincoteague pony, Pony of America (which are generally spotted), etc. More than likely has some quarter horse in her but she is not built like a true QH.

All in all a cute little Pony type. I bet she is fun and smart.

The bay seems to be a 'sooty bay' I believe it is called. hmmm, Morgans are rare. don't think so. (She is built almost exactly like my polish arab.)..that said, could be a Quarter horse or Quarterhorse mix which would go with that color...especially if her movement is low and "on the ground".

Last edited:
Oldhendogs your Chestnut definitely has arab in it, possibly full if polish or egyptian mix. See the way the tail is held up.... typical for arabs or crosses. I have had full and halfs and have known many... 14.1 is common in a lot of arabs, (although they have been breeding them taller for some show lines) I have 2 that are 14.2.5... common in the western show types and those for kid ponies...face is a dead giveaway. Had an arab/Qh cross same color and face frontal looked identical...

Last edited:
The bay seems to be a 'sooty bay' I believe it is called. hmmm, Morgans are rare. don't think so. (She is built almost exactly like my polish arab.)..that said, could be a Quarter horse or Quarterhorse mix which would go with that color...especially if her movement is low and "on the ground".

Yup. More than likely QH or cross. Very typical QH face and build. Where did you get her? Through a rescue org, kill pen, or? If she's a kill pen horse I can almost guarantee she's QH. I'd estimate 80%+ of the horses that come through the lots up here are QH or QH cross.

Back
Top Bottom