What breed is my rooster Ruger?

They are similar, but there are a couple differences. Notice how your rooster has yellow feet, not pink/white. He also has a lot more leakage on his chest than the marans. Though that marans pictured is actually not a very good example of the blue birchen coloration, since he has too much gold/red.
This is how the coloring of that variety is supposed to look.
View attachment 2503826
Thank you so much. I did not notice the differences until you pointed them out. His chicks with my Easter eggers are beautiful. Some of them have the fluffy checks and the blue color and some of them are black with colors

8A817734-83E7-438B-BADA-B741DD9FF1C5.jpeg
All of these but the white bantam in the back right corner are his chicks

Do you know which hatchery your TSC gets chicks from? If it's Hoover's, they do an Olive Egger that's a Welsummer/Cream Legbar cross that could give you single comb and yellow legs.

Hoover's also has different rando hybrids that can be a wildcard as far as appearance, like the "Rainbow." https://hoovershatchery.com/rainbow.html
Yes they use Hoover hatchery. I had not thought about him being something like that. Thank you so much.

Do you know which hatchery your TSC gets chicks from? If it's Hoover's, they do an Olive Egger that's a Welsummer/Cream Legbar cross that could give you single comb and yellow legs.

Hoover's also has different rando hybrids that can be a wildcard as far as appearance, like the "Rainbow." https://hoovershatchery.com/rainbow.html
Both of those are the wrong color. The rooster in question is blue with silver and gold leakage. Welsummers and cream legbars are both based on the duckwing pattern, and neither breeds have the genetics for blue. Rainbows, while more of a possibility, still don’t really match his coloring. Most appear to be silver or gold columbian with barring, both common patterns in meat hybrids. He’s neither columbian or barred.

Both of those are the wrong color. The rooster in question is blue with silver and gold leakage. Welsummers and cream legbars are both based on the duckwing pattern, and neither breeds have the genetics for blue. Rainbows, while more of a possibility, still don’t really match his coloring. Most appear to be silver or gold columbian with barring, both common patterns in meat hybrids. He’s neither columbian or barred.
Fair points. I was also wondering if any male with Cream Legbar would have some barring.

But OP, are those little toppy type feathers by your guy's comb?

Could it be a hatchery-quality Blue Isbar/Silverudd? What do the male Sapphire Gems look like? I know they are a hybrid. The females don't seem to show leakage, but could the males?

Could it be a hatchery-quality Blue Isbar/Silverudd? What do the male Sapphire Gems look like? I know they are a hybrid. The females don't seem to show leakage, but could the males?
Isbars usually have slate legs with pink feet, but I have seen them with green legs. I believe sapphire gems are sex-linked, so the roosters are barred.

Last edited:
Isbars usually have slate legs with pink feet, but I’ve have seen them with green legs. I believe sapphire gems are sex-linked, so the roosters are barred.

Okay, I figured they were barred on the Gems, but wasn't sure. So Isbars can have willow legs. I wonder if a hatchery is offering them? I've never looked into them.

Back
Top Bottom