What breed is my tiny chicken?

Sorry for the loss of your Chick. It happened to one of mine too. RE: Breed, Do they sell Exchequer Leghorn? I got 2 E.L. from Meyer Hatchery. They may have a smaller body size, and the splash coloring on white makes them get curious pecks from other Chicks. They may become runts/fail to thrive partly by pecking order behavior -- my assertive Barred Rocks block mine from food and water often - so I make sure there are more than 1 sources available and that they get extra greens since the competition is fierce for hand feeding. The real runt in the group was landed on repetedly by the big girls, was injured and died in her 2nd week. My survivor E.L. is quite tolerant, but tries to stand up to Roo-ish behavior. I am eager to confirm who among my 7 are Cockerels so they can be rehomed to prevent additional hen-pecking on Crowella de Ville, who is everybody's favorite. She's learned her name, and often first to check out something new, and was willing to stand watch for hours for other chicks as they slept in the Brooder. Outside, she seems relieved to be able to go find her own roost...but does loud chirp on behalf of the group, for light and wind shelter before dark. She lets the 6-year old pick her up, but sometimes test-bites a finger when offered greens or grain by hand. I probably won't get the breed again as long as I have Barred Rocks also.

I find that interesting. She was the watchdog until she started to act funny around week 3. She would always stand over the others like she was protecting them. Quite cute. I dont know what happened, but was definitely presenting as RSS: pale beak/comb, weakness in legs, stunted growth, helicopter feathers, etc. I also have a Barred Rock that is fairly assertive. I hadn't noticed any bullying/excluding behavior, but I did notice some of the birds landing on the tiny one or bumping her down (again, leg weakness and instability) when playing in the run. I am wondering if it could've been some sort of genetic malady all along.

I mean, again, she doesn't act like she's weak or sickly. She's very active. No alarming peeping. She has never stopped eating or drinking. She will fight the others for food. No lethargy. I hope so, too. 😔
Sadly, I had a black sex link that stopped growing about 3-4 weeks in. She took forever to feather out and when we were finally able to comfortably move her outside she seemed fine. Then one day when she was about 9 weeks old (she'd been outside for a while) she started acting very sick and tired. She was dead the next morning. I don't mean to scare you or make you sad, but I wouldn't get too attached. Failure to thrive does happen more frequently than anyone would like and I don't want you to get your hopes up on the little thing. Best wishes.

Sadly, I had a black sex link that stopped growing about 3-4 weeks in. She took forever to feather out and when we were finally able to comfortably move her outside she seemed fine. Then one day when she was about 9 weeks old (she'd been outside for a while) she started acting very sick and tired. She was dead the next morning. I don't mean to scare you or make you sad, but I wouldn't get too attached. Failure to thrive does happen more frequently than anyone would like and I don't want you to get your hopes up on the little thing. Best wishes.

She ended up abruptly passing away around the 7wk mark. I was not too surprised after talking with several folks here. Thank you for the well wishes. All the remaining have been doing very well!! We're at about 10wks now.

Back
Top Bottom