What breed is right for me??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Settler'sDreamFarm, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Settler'sDreamFarm

Settler'sDreamFarm █ [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 7, 2008
    Ontario, Canada :)
    Could every one please tell me the breed of chicken they have and talk about what is good or bad about, because I am looking for the perfect breed:D!!

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Well, what's perfect for one would not be perfect for another. What are you looking for in a chicken?Layer, or dual purpose? Brown eggs or white? Pet chicken or livestock? Bantam or standard? Broody or not.

I currently have 10 barred rock pullets, and a Rhode island Red Cockerel. I plan on trying dual purpose birds for egg and meat production. I also have Standard Old English game birds, that are basically pets, but we eat their eggs, and they go broody. i also have red sexlink hensthat have reached the end of their laying days, so they will be soup soon.

Figure out what it is you want a chicken for, and that'll help. Oh, and [​IMG]

3. IloveTravis

IloveTravis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Brahmas definitely are the most docile breed [​IMG] They are wild babies, but they mellow out as they get older. Our Brahma rooster is our sweetest baby [​IMG]
    I prefer the orpingtons, though. Sweet, beautiful. Good laying hens.
    Wyandottes are also some of the most goooooorgeous chickens out there. They're also pretty sweet too.
    Silkie bantams aren't good for laying, but they are just too cute and too friendly. They're like teddy bears with wings [​IMG]

Those are my favorite breeds. :) But if you're wondering, I prefer my chickens cute, not efficient [​IMG]

4. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Love my Austalorps - big & friendly. Same for my barred rocks.
    My SS Hambugs are wild birds, will not be touched. Polish are cute, but not so friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by